ATO PWM Boost and Dimming Port Questions

hous0067

ATO PWM Boost and Dimming Port Questions

Post by hous0067 »

Gentlemen,
I've been pondering a few upgrades to my 90 gal reef and I'm wondering which direction to take, and/or if they are feasible.

I have an RA+ with the salinity expansion and analog dimming in the relay for my Apollo LEDs. Overall, I've been very happy with its performance and everything is running great.

I would like to run my (yet unused) RA moonlight off an ATO port which is currently vacant. I understand the ATO is only 0-5v while the moonlight wants 0-10v. Then I found Roberto's schematic for a DIY PWM booster. http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2915

It's been about 15 years since I took circuits, please forgive my ignorance, but where should the input PWM from the RA (0-5v) come in and where does the output PWM (0-10v) go out to the moonlight on that diagram?

I already have a 12v supply and I found the circuit components on mouser.com for like $16 with shipping, but I'd gladly pay Roberto double if he had one for sale. :)

Next questions concern the WP40 and analog dimming circuits. I'm thinking I'd like to run a WP40 off one of my dimming signals. In the 9 months I've had my tank, I've literally never had the actinic and daylights at different levels, so I figured I could use one of those ports instead of getting an expansion hub plus an analog expansion for a bunch of ports for which I have no current use.

Would it overload the dimming circuit to run all 4 Apollo Solarblast drivers (Meanwells, I think) off one channel?

Also, could I just cut off the connector that comes with the pump and splice in one of my extra dimming port leads?
I understand I'd have to modify the pump code by 50% to keep voltage 0-5v instead of 0-10v, but that seems like a relatively easy fix.

I'm trying to get creative so my fiancé doesn't kill me for spending more money on the tank....we are paying for the wedding ourselves... :roll:

Any other ideas/suggestions are welcome....

Thanks in advance, you guys are fountains of knowledge, I've learned a lot about electronics and reefing from this forum!

-Ken
-Ken
rimai

Re: ATO PWM Boost and Dimming Port Questions

Post by rimai »

I still have some of the old PWM boosters that were used on early revisions of the relay box.
I could convert it to be stand alone. PM if you are interested in purchasing.
You should be fine with all drivers into a single dimming channel.
For your pump, you would want to use the Jebao cable harness that is sold in the webstore. It will do everything for you, so it's plug and play.
Roberto.