Serial port on UPS

Drs1210

Serial port on UPS

Post by Drs1210 »

Does anybody know if the serial port on a UPS could be used with the RA? I was thinking that maybe it would send a signal, (inputs and outputs) saying that it had lost power. Then we could use that and run it into the I/O module to tell the RA to turn off certain ports in the event of a power failure.
lnevo

Re: Serial port on UPS

Post by lnevo »

It might be possible if you aren't using wifi. Do you have a relay expansion by chance? We are doing this already by keeping the main relay bar on the UPS and the relay expansion on raw power. If the expansion disappears then you can take actions. See my INO for examples.

Either way a relay expansion is both useful and would save a lot of time trying to program a UPS to send a signal or figuring out how to read the existing UPS signal...
Drs1210

Post by Drs1210 »

Yeah I actually just got the relay expansion in the mail today. Yeah i have seen your code, I just thought that I could use the serial port in case there we certain ports on each relay box that I would want to turn off. I guess I could just move all the devices that I want powered on, to the first relay box.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yeah, that would be the easiest :)