led

thebeast

led

Post by thebeast »

Forgive me if I am total off base but I am not very handy and this is the first time I have done anything like this.

I want to be able to control my leds (tried to post link to light but its telling me I am not authorized to do so) with the reef angel and if I understand I would need to get a dimmable led driver. If I bought a 100w driver like the MEANWELL HLG-100H-36B does that mean i could connect two 50w leds to it?
I appreciate any advice
John
lnevo

Re: led

Post by lnevo »

The only thing you get a warning for on the portal like that is if your port forwarding is not working...

What drivers/leds do you have now?

There's a lot to choosing drivers and led combos. I wish I could help more in that regard
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

The MeanWell spec for HLG-100H-36B shows that it can take either 1-10v dc or PWM, so it could be controled by either the RA analog or PWM models.

It looks like the HLG-100H-36B is ment for street lighting applications. 100 watts of LEDs is a large array if you are using the standard 3 watt Cree type of led. As for using two 50w LEDs you would have to run them in series and I am not sure if the large led spots can be found with the right wavelength for reef tanks.

I have built my led system using two drivers so that we have actinic ( royal blue ) on one and daylight on the other.

I would suggest that you do some research on the web, and also find the thread on this forum about Aquastyle LEDs as there is more info there on diy lighting.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You get that message because you can't post links until you have 5 posts on the boards. It's an anti-spam measure.

I would suggest RapidLED as well.

What kind of fixture are you using now?

--Colin
thebeast

Post by thebeast »

Right now I am using two 2x 250w MH. I bought the leds from "the_jonvh" on ebay. I have two lamps, each has a 50w actinic blue and 50W 12k white. As for the driver I would assume it is inside the lamp(?) and I have not opened it, I wanted to make sure I knew what to do first so if it was not feasible I could return them. I have seen a few people who have used these lamps over there reef tanks and planted aquariums. Besides the price I also choose these because I have a wood canopy over my tank and a 48" fixture will not fit inside.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-LED-Li ... 3f263f271f

If so, we need to know more about the drivers and the dimmers. Specifically, we need to know if the dimming is 0-10V analog, PWM, resistance, or something else.

Does the dimmer plug in between the driver and the fixture? Or some other way?

--Colin
thebeast

Post by thebeast »

I really am not sure how to answer some of these questions. As you can see in the photo it just comes with a manual dimmer that goes between the lamp and the power supply. In led setups is the driver the same as the power supply or are they two different things? Is a drive to led like ballast is to mh? If I need to I was going to replace it with a meanwell driver. i am going to contact the seller, what should I ask him so I know what needs to be done?
John
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Just ask if there is any way to dim these with a 0-10v or PWM controller.

--Colin
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

And to answer your other questions, LED's have drivers and power supplies, although they are normally built together into one unit and called a driver. The Mean Well drivers are actually combo units. Steve's LED setups use separate power supplies and drivers.

If you're talking Mean Well drivers, then yes, the driver is kind of like the ballast in a MH setup. The units you have are a different kind of thing since they are a single giant LED vs a string of smaller LED's which is more common.

--Colin