PWM or Analog?

Sacohen

PWM or Analog?

Post by Sacohen »

Is there any advantage to going PWM over Analog for LED lighting control?
I know the PMW Dimming Expansion is less expensive then the analog, but I'm going to build my own LED lights and as long as I have a choice I wanted to know if one way was better then the other as far as controlling them, or in any other aspects.

Thanks
Sebyte

Re: PWM or Analog?

Post by Sebyte »

In my personal opinion, it all depends on the driver you chose. MeanWell drivers are what I chose when I built my LEDs and use PWM to control them.

If you have not already looked at this link you may find it of interest http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=788
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks Sebyte.
I did read that thread a while ago.
The last post in there right now is mine.

I'm planning on building a 72 LED package too, but I'm customizing the lights to be more full spectrum.
I'm leaning towards the LPF drivers too for the same reason Steve did.
I'm going to have 6 dimmable channels for customization to all area's of the lighting.

There will be 2 fixtures, one over each side of the tank laid out like this...

RB C V B 10 G 65 B 10 V C RB

P UV R B RB UV RB P B R UV P

RB G V 65 B C 10 B 65 V G RB

I'm thinking of going with the Meanwell ELN-60-48p now, because it will save me about $50 total.
I was going to use the LPF drivers originally because I didn't have the Reef Angel and wasn't sure which way I was going to go with a controller so I wanted the ability to go Analog or PWM and the LPF have 3 in 1 dimming controls.

Now that I have the RA and know I can get either Analog or PWM here and PWM is cheaper, I think the ELN drivers may be the better way for me for a cost aspect all and with the ELN PWM models it saves me all the way around.
rimai

Post by rimai »

May I suggest you spend a little more? :o
I have not used the LPF, but what I heard is that they have a much lower cut off and it will give you a much better experience and results.
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks Roberto.
That's why I posed the question to get helpful information like this. :D
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Also with the the LPF you'll only need one big power supply with the ELN you'll need an outlet for each driver, which will end up being a birdsnest.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Oh, you are getting confused with the models :?
LPF is the same as ELN as far as power cord goes. They just have lower cutoff and accept PWM, analog and resistance dimming.
LDD are the ones you are referring too, which takes DC voltage instead of AC and requires external power supply.
But, I heard good things about the LDD too :)
The only thing is that you must special order the dimming module to be at 0-5V instead of 0-10V.
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

It's probably been said...but if meanwells go with analog and "D" drivers. Soooooooo much better than the "P" drivers...trust me...learned the hard way

The LDD can be awesome with a guide on RC about how to do it. You can get those LEDs dimmed all the way to 0. Which is awesome.
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative