New to RA, bought Used

MrPhazeWun

New to RA, bought Used

Post by MrPhazeWun »

Hey all,

First post, and I have a few questions...I've been trying to see if I could find any information on what I'm about to ask, but I have thus been unsuccessful. I bought a used Reef Angel Plus, and I'm up to the challenge of learning the syntax, and how the system works...patience is the name of my game, since my system is being built as we speak, nice and slowly, and correctly.

Here are my questions with some information:

- The previous owner has some functionality that I'd like to keep, but I want to see how it looks, and see if there is anything that I could change to my liking. Is that a way to "import" the code from the RA unit itself, or would it be preferable for me to start from scratch?

- If there is no way to start "import" what he's uploaded to the unit...is there a reset button, so that I could start implementing what I want from scratch?

- How does the upload process work...is it like writing something in .net and the dll files are uploaded to the device (hypothetically speaking), or do you actually upload the code, and the device translates?...I guess It relates to the previous questions...is there any way to backward engineer the files once uploaded?

I do program for a living, but mostly in COBOL (yes it still does exist ;) ); however, I've had quite a bit of exposure to .net (vb) [professionally and recreationally...fun utilities), and I've taken college course in java, c and c++, so I'm somewhat season, but by no means a pro. I've gotten the IDE installed on my computer, and I've gotten the wireless module setup with a household staic IP (through the router), and I have the PC client set up (along with a few other devices). I am somewhat computer/network savvy. What would be a good tutorial for me in understanding exactly how programming this unit would work? Thanks in advance for any help.

Have a great day,
Luis
rimai

Re: New to RA, bought Used

Post by rimai »

No, you can't pull code from the controller.
Since you are familiar with other languages, think of it this way:
You have the source code written in whatever language you prefer. Then, you compile/build it and the IDE will output an exe file. This exe file is the end result which you can't reverse engineer back.
With the controller is almost the same thing, except the output is a file in intel hex format, usually with hex or bin extension that gets flashed (uploaded) into the controller flash memory.
Although we can pull back this hex file, it is already compiled and it would be the same thing as the exe file. You can't really revert back.
I hope that gives you some idea of the process.
Roberto.
MrPhazeWun

Post by MrPhazeWun »

It does...Thank you very much for detailing that.

This only means that I have to build from the ground up...correct?

I'm fine with that, learning code is fun to me (I'm a Square, I know); but to get a better understanding, every time that I add any functionality to my structure, I am actually overriding the bin that is already in there...so unless I get the source from the previous owner, I should start from the ground up...correct?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Correct, but use the wizard to get you started.
No need to reinvent the wheel :)
Tools->Reef Angel Wizard
Roberto.
MrPhazeWun

Post by MrPhazeWun »

I've heard nothing but good things about you Robert...and I tell you what I've heard right...thanks for your help, and wish me luck on my new toy ;).

Thanks,
Luis
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

MrPhazeWun wrote:I've heard nothing but good things about you Robert...and I tell you what I've heard right...thanks for your help, and wish me luck on my new toy ;).

Thanks,
Luis
+1 and welcome!!
MrPhazeWun

Post by MrPhazeWun »

Thank you, and I'm happy to be here...