Is the RA right for me?

Toallhisdoom

Is the RA right for me?

Post by Toallhisdoom »

Hey everyone, have been looking into controllers. Trying to figure out what one to go with.
Am leaning towards the RA.

Basically what I want:
PHONE ALERTS! I have seen the apex iphone app and it seemed very nice. Sending you alerts when things went wrong. How does this app work for the RA with an android phone? I have to buy the wifi attachment for this right?

Temp monitoring/control

ATO monitoring for when bucket is empty. Will it send me an alert? Can I sell the ATO(keep the dosing pump) I have and just use the RA to do the ato?

Light timers. Going to have 3x reefbreeders 120w value fixtures(have 2 atm)
So any plug can be used as a timer correct?

Can this thing monitor salinity? Or is that another separate module i have to buy? Do you recommend adding this on?

Ph monitoring comes standard so thats nice.

What else can i use this for?

have jebao dc return pump and jebao wp40 wave maker.

Thanks!
lnevo

Re: Is the RA right for me?

Post by lnevo »

You can use the dimming ports to interface with your Jaebo return and WP40. You'll need the jaebo cables in the store. You will need the wifi module to interface with your phone and the portal. Right now our developer for the iphone app went missing but binder has picked up the task and we are waiting for the new iphone app to be submitted. Salinity is an extra module. I don't use it, but would like to eventually :) Lights, yes it can go in any relay port. Port 5 and 6 though have special circuitry for rapid on/off for wavemakers so you may want to save them but no reason to not be able to use them. You can setup alerts. I use the Water Level sensor to monitor my ATO bucket. You could use a float switch. The RA will do ATO with a single float switch, 2 float switches, or with the water level sensor with any pump that plugs into a relay outlet. There is a 4 port water level sensor coming out soon too if it's not already listed in the store.. You can setup alerts easily enough, but again you'll need the wifi module.
binder

Post by binder »

i have the salinity probe and it works good. it is an extra module that would need to be purchased.

the android app handles notifications based on the parameters and values you choose. they are set within the app. feel free to install it on your phone and test it out with my test controller. the host is maxima.curtbinder.info and the port is the default (2000). you can then see what things will look like and how they can respond before you commit. it's not the same as actually watching it but you can test.

Sent from my Nexus 7
mikedizon

Post by mikedizon »

I guess that depends how familiar you are with the product. I suggest visit downloads and read the manuals.
This way you are comfortable with the RA products.

yes you can control pretty much everything. Even alert you via smart phone and all the setting you want. This is done
in the portal or specifically in the "portal settings" after your wifi is set up. You can trigger pretty much anything and even monitor your aquarium system using any browser online. You also have a dash board and an internal memory
To change e setting online.

At the moment there are iPhone apps issues with IOS 7 and its being solve and hopefully more features to see.
IOS 6 apps works but on a different interface design.

I also strongly suggest getting the Ra plus for more memory for all what you want and get the wifi attachment and salinity probe and more items that you want to do.

Additional to this information do also download the Ra installer software for Mac or Windows and run and test the software. If your not a programer and want easy way to make Ra work for you. Use the "Wizard" go to Tools->Reef Angel Wizard" in the software. I recommend saving it as internal memory so you can use the portal internal memory to change the settings later on the fly without using the software. It's pretty cool.

It will ask you basic question like what product unit you have connected and what you want to do.
Like turning ON your RA ports from 1 to 8, timer settings and many more stuff.

I think you can also request direct help with robert for a remote computer online help.
This means he is like there next to your computer he can see the problem visually
as you speak to him over the phone. Cool!