saltwater fish with white spot and ich, is it sick?

tong

saltwater fish with white spot and ich, is it sick?

Post by tong »

Hello,
I just bought the fish on Saturday, the blue hippo and power blue. Three day later, I found out that they have many white spot and ich on their body. They are all in the reef tank. Can anyone please tell me what kind of medication to treat them and/or any method to cure it. Thank you
Sacohen

Re: saltwater fish with white spot and ich, is it sick?

Post by Sacohen »

Really not the right place to ask this, but there are many ways to treat them.

Is this a reef tank or a FOWLR?
Medicating a Reef Tank is not a good idea, most, if not all medication for ich contains copper, which is not good for inverts.

One way I've heard of is..Treating Marine Ich with Hypo-Salinity.
Here is an article on it. http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-exclusi ... eding.aspx

Other people are saying feed garlic soaked food.
Do a google search for reef safe ways to treat marine ich.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I really doubt there is any reef safe way.
:(
Sorry....
You should remove all fish and quarantine them with copper for a couple months in another tank and let the ich die off in your display.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You mean the reef angel can't cure ich??? lol

Yeah, no reef safe way. Hypo is not good for inverts or coral either. I have read some positive reviews of Kich-Ich? but it has just as many negative reviews. Best is either to feed your fish well so they get through it or take them out and treat with hypo or copper. Leave DT fallow for 8 weeks.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

The Reef Angel can cure ich in the sense that it can be used to control the Hypo-Salinity with in turn cures the ich. :)

See Reef Angel can do anything. LOL
ReEfnWrX

Post by ReEfnWrX »

Thought I'd share this with everyone, this food is only available through LFS that know about it and carry it. You cannot order it online. Call around and see if any of your LFS carry it, if not tell them about it and ask if they would order some to see how people like it... My LFS sells this stuff non stop.

http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/me ... h-food.cfm

This stuff has worked wonders, treatments and dips only do so much.. They are a temporary affect on the outside of our fish and therefor do not really have long term affect. This frozen medicated food however has helped my fish many times and has long term results. I feed only this to my fish for 3 weeks every 6 months. What better way than to introduce medication to the fish that kills the parasites from inside the fish to out?

It is deemed Coral Reef Safe, HOWEVER, when you use it, feed very slowly, turn off your power heads and try to feed just enough for the fish to eat it all. I have noticed that if pieces land on a coral and stay there for an hour+ that it burns the coral.. I feed it very slowly as mentioned and then 30 minutes later as an extra step of caution I use my turkey baster to blow anything off of all my corals. I have never lost a coral. I have only noticed the burn happen two or three times and this is when I started to be very careful with the amount I put in the tank at one time.