Voltage specs for Cat 5e.

Sacohen

Voltage specs for Cat 5e.

Post by Sacohen »

I want to make a wiring snake for a bunch of 12v cables that I want to run from my RA+ controller to my garage, (probably about 35-40 feet).

Can Cat 5e handle 12v and will the twisted wiring cause any problems or interference?

Thanks
rimai

Re: Voltage specs for Cat 5e.

Post by rimai »

I think it should be fine.
Power over Ethernet specification states max current of 600mA, so as long as you don't draw more than that, you should be fine.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The twisting is to eliminate interference. No worried there. Its the amperage you need to worry about.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks. I'm just going to be using 2 of the ATO or dosing pumps that are in the store.

1 more question. The description says that it can push or pull 10 or 8 feet, is that total or height.

It's going to go about 8' up then over 13' and 8' down.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Everything will come down naturally here on Earth :)
It's inevitable unless you go for plastic surgery... lol
Just kidding... :twisted:
The pump will only have to push up and the horizontal/down part has virtually no resistance.
Roberto.
KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

CAT5 can carry a pretty large current over short distances. Just make sure you're using the solid core wire and not the stranded. I'm using it for 1.5 amp LED strings over about a 3 meter distance with no problems. Cables don't get hot and I'm not loosing any throughput due to cable resistance.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks everyone.
Pretty much what I thought about the head pressure, but I was just double checking.
I have one of the ATO pumps already so I may give it a try when I have some time, but I'm sure it will be fine.