Open source hardware discussion?

KRavEN

Re: Open source hardware discussion?

Post by KRavEN »

These are pretty small too but no xbee. Image
Pny

Post by Pny »

Yes, thats a neat and simple solution... I actually considered that first, and it still is my backup plan, but my solution has a number of advantages (at the cost of just a little more complexity), (if I manage to implement them!): :D

1, Can be extended with xbee wireless control
2, Can be extended with another extension that plugs in to this unit... Very neat if combined with xbee. (The unit has to USB plugs: 1, In from main unit, 2, Out to extension)
3, Can be made to operate in stand alone mode with configurable default states on the plugs (even after power off/on cycle). This means the unit does not turn off all outputs if I need to unplug the main unit for some reason.
200 liter reef cube + 1000 liter FOWLR
rimai

Post by rimai »

If you look at the libraries closely, you will find that I have already implemented this in the libraries, so you can take advantage of that too. I called it RANet :)
https://github.com/reefangel/Libraries/ ... l.cpp#L459
The receiver is pretty much what you have, except it is in a different form factor, so it is a little bigger, and it's got a few more components for status indication and voltage translation.
I just sent the latest revision of the receiver to the board house a few days ago.
The RANet payload will have status of all relay boxes and their respective fallback state, as well as status of the dimming module.
Eventually, I plan on appending the payload with all the parameters too and possibly have a wireless remote screen, if I ever find a decent screen to use. Who knows :)
Roberto.
KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

rimai wrote:If you look at the libraries closely, you will find that I have already implemented this in the libraries, so you can take advantage of that too. I called it RANet :)
https://github.com/reefangel/Libraries/ ... l.cpp#L459
The receiver is pretty much what you have, except it is in a different form factor, so it is a little bigger, and it's got a few more components for status indication and voltage translation.
I just sent the latest revision of the receiver to the board house a few days ago.
The RANet payload will have status of all relay boxes and their respective fallback state, as well as status of the dimming module.
Eventually, I plan on appending the payload with all the parameters too and possibly have a wireless remote screen, if I ever find a decent screen to use. Who knows :)
Sounds super cool Robert. I'll have to take a look.

As far as a screen goes, I think a simple small status LCD is really all that is needed as long as there are good browser and phone apps. Like you've already found out, dedicated touch screen is costly and almost everyone already has an android or iphone.

I do think a detached stand alone status screen like the apex display module would be a welcome addition. Maybe use one of those cool 128x128 OLED panels. Then you can stash the main RA unit wherever you want and only have a small 4 wire cable running out to the status screen that you can stick wherever is most accessible.