Water level expansion as skimmer overflow protection?

Pny

Water level expansion as skimmer overflow protection?

Post by Pny »

Anyone using the water level expansion as skimmer overflow protection, and can share their idea? Is it possible, and a good way of doing it?
200 liter reef cube + 1000 liter FOWLR
Pny

Re: Water level expansion as skimmer overflow protection?

Post by Pny »

Sebyte wrote:You can use a float switch, see http://forum.reefangel.com/./viewtopic. ... r+overflow
Yes, certainly... But that wasn't the question. ;-)

I think the the water level sensor is both easier to clean and also less prone to false trig by the foam in the skimmer cup...

(There is of course a cost aspect also, with the float switch being cheaper... but since I make my water level sensor boards myself, I will have a few boards left over anyway...)
200 liter reef cube + 1000 liter FOWLR
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I have a skimmate locker from avast marine which has the pressure switch. One day when I get the multilevel sensor i will replace the pressure switch with one...does that count? :)
Piper

Post by Piper »

I've been contemplating doing the same thing. The problem I ran into was that there wasn't enough room between the inner tube and the outer tube in the collection cup to reliably mount a water level tube. I just picked up a new skimmer with a little more room to work with but haven't had the spare time to dig back into it.

After the first unsuccessful attempt, I was leaning towards float switches though.

~Piper