Battery backup using DPDT relay

davaraj

Battery backup using DPDT relay

Post by davaraj »

Does anyone know how to wire up a DPDT relay (double pole double throw relay) with battery to run a Jebao wavemaker, when the mains power fails? I have a OMRON relay.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (300.5 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (340 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
rimai

Re: Battery backup using DPDT relay

Post by rimai »

Use a power supply to act as source to the coils. I can't read what voltage your coils are. Just make sure you match the same voltage. It looks to be a 12VDC coil.
The power supply goes to the wall outlet. This will keep the coil in the closed state. If there is a power outage, the power supply will not have power anymore and the coil will de-energize and open.
Then, use the NC pins and connect to the battery and use NO pins and connect to the Jebao 24VDC power supply.
Now, if you use another relay and go for a 24VDC coil, you can ditch the 12VDC power supply and use the Jebao 24VDC power supply to energize the relay and also source power to the pump. Kill 2 birds with one stone :)
Are you using a motorcycle battery? They are 12VDC. I have not tested if the Jebao pumps run on 12VDC yet.
If anyone else has tested, please let us know.
I'll see if I can put together a module to have everything in it. Relay+battery charger=awesome :)
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

That would be something a lot of people have been asking for. Cool
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

rimai wrote:Use a power supply to act as source to the coils. I can't read what voltage your coils are. Just make sure you match the same voltage. It looks to be a 12VDC coil.
The power supply goes to the wall outlet. This will keep the coil in the closed state. If there is a power outage, the power supply will not have power anymore and the coil will de-energize and open.
Then, use the NC pins and connect to the battery and use NO pins and connect to the Jebao 24VDC power supply.
Now, if you use another relay and go for a 24VDC coil, you can ditch the 12VDC power supply and use the Jebao 24VDC power supply to energize the relay and also source power to the pump. Kill 2 birds with one stone :)
Are you using a motorcycle battery? They are 12VDC. I have not tested if the Jebao pumps run on 12VDC yet.
If anyone else has tested, please let us know.
I'll see if I can put together a module to have everything in it. Relay+battery charger=awesome :)
The coil is a 12VDC coil. I plan to use power from solar panel through the solar charge controller. It outputs 12V. The batteries are AGM batteries connected in parallel, so they output 12V.
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

The Jebao wavemaker runs on 12VDC supply. I have a busted Jebao controller ( no led lights and it doesn't turn the pump). I connected a 3 volt battery to the VA and negative wires. Connected to the pump and power supply and the controller works. I connected the controller and power supply to the DPDT relay and it works.
If the power supply fails the RA head unit will not be able to control the pump through the Jebao harness. So to use battery backup I feel you need the Jebao controller. Or is there another way to use the harness with the battery backup?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (531.72 KiB) Viewed 6760 times
rimai

Post by rimai »

I also have a motorcycle battery being charged by a solar panel and it has been fine for more than a year :)
Except I have it connected to my vortech pumps.
Correct, you need a way to inject the signal when in battery mode. You can use the battery to inject the signal.
I'll have my prototype made in a couple weeks.
I'm using the same concept that you are trying to do.
Battery being charged by solar panel. This module will come with dual Jebao cables, 2 relays and 2 connectors to connect to the controller dimming channels. The battery will be kept fully charged by the sun and when there is a power outage, it will instantly convert to battery mode and it converts back to power supply mode when power is restored.
I think it is a simple and easy solution to add power backup to the Jebao pumps.
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

This is interesting. A lot of people have come up with battery backups for the Jebao pumps but no one has really overcome the fact that you lose the controller when the power goes out.

I'm sure it will be able to be converted to work with the Apex too. That opens up a whole nother group of buyers.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

I got hold of a 24V DPDT relay and hooked it up to a 24V power supply. As Roberto pointed out I just used one power supply to energize the coil as well as power the Jebao wavemaker. The battery supply came from a solar charger giving out 12V supply. I tested the whole setup and it works.
The blue arrows are from the 24V power supply. The black arrow is from the solar charger (12V).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (510.49 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

Blue arrow from 24V power supply. Black arrow from solar charger (battery -12V)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (712.63 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

The complete setup connected to Jebao controller.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (975.15 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

So this setup with switch control from the RA to the stock controller if there is a power outage. The Jebao will continue to run and move water in the tank off a battery.
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

Sacohen wrote:So this setup with switch control from the RA to the stock controller if there is a power outage. The Jebao will continue to run and move water in the tank off a battery.
I have only tried this battery backup with the stock controller, controlling the wavemaker, not from RA. I don't know how to switch from RA to the stock controller, when there is no mains power supply. If anyone has any ideas on the wiring to switch from RA to stock controller, in case of power outage, please let me know. May be Roberto has something to say here.. Maybe it's possible to do away with the stock controller altogether.
Albe

Post by Albe »

I have approached this differently. I have an inverter with 102Ah batteries connected.
The power from this goes straight to the RA and power everything.
For a power failure detection system I have normal 12V power supply connected to mains, which goes to a relay which is connected an ato port. If the mains drops, the RA goes into power save mode and only runs the return and one jebao pump. When power returns, everything else switches back on.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you can do that too and the added benefit of doing it your way is that RA can send alert to you :)
Roberto.
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

I made this modification to the Jebao harness. Connected a 9V battery to the harness. When connected to the wavemaker without going through the RA unit the wavemaker works. When connected to the RA unit the battery seems to take over and the pump just spins without any wave forms. (At least it moves water). If I disconnect the battery then the RA unit takes over. Now to find a way to connect the battery only when the main power outage occurs and pump runs on battery backup (using the DPDT relay). I think I have to put a relay in between the battery and the harness.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (586.49 KiB) Viewed 3311 times