Merging in changes on github

AlanM

Merging in changes on github

Post by AlanM »

I'm still a github novice, and I can't figure something out. Roberto merged in my commits in a pull request to the dev branch of the code, and has committed additional changes to the dev branch.

Now I want to pull those changes to the dev branch of my fork so I can work on the most current version of the code for my next commits, but I can't figure out how to update my fork with current changes.

Anyone know how to do that?
AlanM

Re: Merging in changes on github

Post by AlanM »

Nevermind. I think I figured it out. Not sure I'm doing it right, but it's pulling in upstream changes from the command line.

I just changed to the directory and did:

Code: Select all

git merge upstream/master

for the FeaturesAndUpdateFiles repository and got the changes that Roberto had committed last merged in to my fork.
rimai

Post by rimai »

yes, I think this is how it is supposed to be done.
I don't know about the command line... I do it with the graphical utility, because I'm lazy :(
I pull the changes of the fork and merge to mine.
Roberto.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

How do you do it from the graphical utility? Can I have your Libraries repository and my fork of that Libraries repository both in my GUI client at the same time and drag stuff over somehow?
rimai

Post by rimai »

I use git gui.
I simply go to menu remote->fetch from->amunter (or any other fork)
This will download your latest copy of your fork.
Then I go to menu merge>local merge. In the window "Merge" that pops up, I select tracking branch and pick whatever branch I want to merge. For example amunter/dev
Sometimes, I need to close and open the app again after I fetch for some reason or the branches don't show up in the merge window.
Roberto.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

OK. I use the github Windows application, which doesn't have those extra options, I think.