Switching from a regular RA to a RA Plus

Squishie89

Switching from a regular RA to a RA Plus

Post by Squishie89 »

This weekend I am going to finally make the switch from my regular RA head unit to a RA Plus unit. My regular RA has been malfunctioning; randomly changing the time which has been a huge deal.

SO anything I should keep in mind when doing the transfer? Should I change everything out; relay box, cords, probes? I was not the one who set it up, a friend did, but I understand the unit pretty well, just never set one up before.
Sacohen

Re: Switching from a regular RA to a RA Plus

Post by Sacohen »

There should be no reason to change everything out.

Just switch out the head unit (or the board) and upload your current code.
You'll probably want to update to the current libraries now that you have the room.

Did you buy a whole new set up or just get the RA+ Board?
Squishie89

Post by Squishie89 »

Yeah I bought the whole set. Probably good to have spare parts on hand anyway. And I wouldn't mind setting up a second relay box either.

The switch out went quick and painless. Thank you for your help!
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No problem.
In order to use the 2nd relay you would need the relay expansion unit.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You can get the expansion unit without the extra relay box but i think you have to pm roberto to get it as a special order.

Hope you enjoy all that extra memory now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fightinghippo

Post by fightinghippo »

I am still new to the forums. Looking into buying a controller but have a question. R these controllers pretty reliable? Also is there a software reset that would help issues like this?
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Yes they are reliable. I'm not going to say that they never have problems, every electrical.computer device is going to have some problems, but they are very few and the system is reliable beside if you do have problems, there are plenty of people in the forum to help and Roberto is always around here too,besides he's only and PM or e-mail away.

Basically a software reset is to reload the original code that came on the unit which is available in the Arduino programmer where you make your sketch.
binder

Post by binder »

fightinghippo wrote:I am still new to the forums. Looking into buying a controller but have a question. R these controllers pretty reliable? Also is there a software reset that would help issues like this?
i've been running my ra+ with salinity probe and water level attachment for well over a solid year now without any problems. in fact, i don't ever have to do anything or know anything wrong unless i get an alert from my phone that says the ph is low or the temp is too low or i need to fill up with water. it just runs by itself and i don't worry about it.
prior to that, i've had a ra since they came out in 2010 and i still have my original hardware that has been working fine...i actually use it for testing now since i replaced the original one with a ra+. (haven't done much testing in the last few months though).