Issue with RO/DI Unit after swapping to a "better" membrane

dapg8gt

Re: Issue with RO/DI Unit after swapping to a "better" membr

Post by dapg8gt »

I have a similar issue with my "98%" rejection rate membrane. I got mine from buckeye and I can't even get the same post membrane tds as my original maxcap 90gpd membrane that was 3 years old..

I have low incoming 20tds and this membrane will get 2 tds best case most of the time it's at 4 tds. It's crap.. Wish I never went with buckeye it's always an excuse and what hokey thing to try next vs just giving me another "tested" membrane.. Waste of money on my end should have stuck with spectrapure.. Fwiw my old standard membrane went from 0 tds to 1tds so I swapped in this revolutionary fully certified membrane to just burn up my resin. I also tossed my old membrane like a really smart guy.. At least brs is helping you though I'm going to go with a spectrapure membrane when my resin depletes but it's probably wiser and cheaper for me to do it now. I'm just bitter that buckeye isn't doing anything.

Tricks I was told that didn't work were to make sure the membrane is seated properly.. Use hot water on the rubber gasket to make it more pliable, run the unit to waste for 24hrs(im in California in a drought) and some others that didn't work. I'm not sold on these ultra high efficient membranes myself might just get the standard one again..
My other hobby has 450rwhp and eats tires instead of mysis!
rimai

Post by rimai »

Man... I'm really wasting resin then... I get 13tds post membrane at best.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I'm surprised your having an issue with Buckeye. Russ is usually really good with this type of stuff, and from what I've seen customer service has been spot on. But I guess every experience is different.

I wish I knew what my post membrane TDS was.. I need to get one of those triple meters they have now. My post resin TDS is always 0-1 and my resin lasts almost a year. I also am pretty diligent in flushing the membrane before I make a batch of RO.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

lnevo wrote:I'm surprised your having an issue with Buckeye. Russ is usually really good with this type of stuff, and from what I've seen customer service has been spot on. But I guess every experience is different.

I wish I knew what my post membrane TDS was.. I need to get one of those triple meters they have now. My post resin TDS is always 0-1 and my resin lasts almost a year. I also am pretty diligent in flushing the membrane before I make a batch of RO.
You don't need those triple meters. Just use your handheld. Detach the tube running from your RO to your DI from the fitting and drop that water in a cup and measure away! That's what I do. From what I've heard, those in-line meters aren't as accurate because of temp compensation.
Jack
lnevo

Issue with RO/DI Unit after swapping to a "better" membrane

Post by lnevo »

Dont have a handheld...need one of those too.
ReEfnWrX

Post by ReEfnWrX »

I've got two dual in-lines... One from each measuring Post Membrane and one from each measuring post DI... Always good to have two different units giving you results... I also have a hand held. I use that to test my tap water from time to time. There is no point measuring TDS post Sediment/Carbon blocks as they actually remove more of the undissolved solids in water and break them down into easier particles for the membrane/di resin to clear out... Typically you will see the same TDS post sediment/carbon as you will from your tap... sometimes it might even be a little higher or lower...

At this point BRS says I need to send my RO unit into them for testing.... I told them it might just be easier for me to order spectrapure membrane and if that works I want a refund.

Roberto, put it this way, if you normally have 12 TDS post membrane, you will use up DI resin 3 times as fast as someone with 4 TDS post membrane... 6 times as fast as someone with 2 TDS post membrane... It's a huge difference...

This is so frustrating, I put all the numbers together, I have spent about 480 on RO/DI equipment from BRS... Maybe if they agree to fix it on their dime and ship it back on their dime I will consider absorbing the shipping cost of a RO unit to them...