Looking for Reef Angel +

Sobos Reef

Re: Looking for Reef Angel +

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:The Apex use an RJ-45 or Ethernet connector.
The RA uses a different type of connection for the main unit or bare wires for the dimming module.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk
Ohh.. well if I get the controllable lights then I won't have to cut the wires most likely right?
Using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No. The controllable lights will work on the Apex without cutting them, but to use them in the RA it's a different connection. Something can be made to plug the RJ-45 from the lights into so you wouldn't gave to cut the ends off.

Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:No. The controllable lights will work on the Apex without cutting them, but to use them in the RA it's a different connection. Something can be made to plug the RJ-45 from the lights into so you wouldn't gave to cut the ends off.

Alright this just got so confusing for me really fast. looks like I gotta go back to the drawing board first. thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it even if I don't understand it lol
Using Tapatalk
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

I will try to elaborate since I'm on a desktop. :)

Basically what Sacohen is saying is that most things that can be controlled by an Apex can be controlled by an RA. The only difference is the connection point (or the plug from the lights to the controller). Apex uses an ethernet connection, just like your router. But an RA uses a different connection. The modification you will have to do (and there are plenty of threads on it) is to cut the ethernet connection off and attach the relevant RA plug. Roberto (or others) can direct you on which connection to buy at Radioshack or Ebay.

Hope that helps explain it a bit better. It sound harder than it is..though I've never tried it myself... :?
Jack
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I'll try to explain it with images later today when I'm at home.

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Dont sweat it, it probably wont come with the wire to connect to the apex anyway...you'll most likely need to modify an ethernet cable...not that tough. We're here to walk you through it :)

I would recommend getting the dimming module. You'll have three fixtures with two channels. You'll be able to do a nice sunrise/sunset with separate controlability.

Get the PWM reef angel and you'll use that for the jaebos.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I'm seriously contemplating flipping my lights as well...its just that I paid so little for mine, it'll be a decent upgrade :) decisions decisions...
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

The Apex uses this type of connection and RJ-45 or Ethernet.

The RA uses what I call a 2 pin header connection. I don't know the actual name of it but it looks like this.

Or if it's going to the dimming module just bare wire that screw in.

If the lights come with the Apex connection I can take an ethernet jack and put the correct end coming off of it so you don't have to cut the end off of yours.

Lee is probably right and it wouls not come with the RJ-45 end on it.
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Okay now it makes sense Lol sorry about that, between work and this forum, I got lost somehow Lol thanks!
Using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Good. Glad to help.

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Hey Sobos, ReefRadiance is selling an upgrade kit for existing DM-155e fixtures. I think that would be the best route to go if you haven't done anything yet...
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

lnevo wrote:Hey Sobos, ReefRadiance is selling an upgrade kit for existing DM-155e fixtures. I think that would be the best route to go if you haven't done anything yet...
Hey! Yes I was talking with them for awhile about what I was going to do! Ive decided to buy the upgrade kits eventually and then just buy an Apex since that's the only controller that's been proven to work so far with them. Thanks for the heads up tho!
Using Tapatalk
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

There is no difference between how the Apex controls a dimmer and the ReefAngel. The Apex is simply 0-10V analog signal which the RA can do just fine. However I understand your hesitance. We are here to help however you go.

Regardless, If you could please keep us posted on the upgrade kit, I'm very interested to see what it comes with, how it works and some pics on the installation. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

lnevo wrote:There is no difference between how the Apex controls a dimmer and the ReefAngel. The Apex is simply 0-10V analog signal which the RA can do just fine. However I understand your hesitance. We are here to help however you go.

Regardless, If you could please keep us posted on the upgrade kit, I'm very interested to see what it comes with, how it works and some pics on the installation. Thanks for your help in advance.
No problem. Its still up in the air. I may not be getting the upgrade kits for awhile tho. Ran into a few financial snags so I'll have to save up for them anyways.
Using Tapatalk