Looking for Reef Angel +

Sobos Reef

Looking for Reef Angel +

Post by Sobos Reef »

Hi everyone, I'm in search of a fairly new Reef Angel + setup with extras if possible. I have 3 reef radiance lights that I'm looking to control so I'm not sure if I need the Analog or Dimming setup. Please let me know what you have to offer! Thanks!!!
Using Tapatalk
JDW

Re: Looking for Reef Angel +

Post by JDW »

The RA+ kit from website is great. Has everything you need, just add a wifi module. Good price too.
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

JDW wrote:The RA+ kit from website is great. Has everything you need, just add a wifi module. Good price too.
you mean from the RA website directly?
Using Tapatalk
JDW

Post by JDW »

Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

JDW wrote:Yeah, http://www.reefangel.com
okay thank you
Using Tapatalk
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Would I need the "analog" controller or the "PWM" controller?? I can't see what the difference is
Using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

That depends on what you are going to be controlling.
My LED lights are controlled via PWM.
The Jebao pumps can use either analog or PWM.
If you want to control your Reef Radiance lights there are 2 thing you need to find out from the manufacturer.

1) if they can be controlled by a 3rd party controller. A lot of newer LED's are coming with their own controller and you can't connect it to a 3rd party controller.

2) If it can be controlled by a 3rd party controller what does it use analog or PWM.

What is the model of the Reef Radiance lights you have?
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:That depends on what you are going to be controlling.
My LED lights are controlled via PWM.
The Jebao pumps can use either analog or PWM.
If you want to control your Reef Radiance lights there are 2 thing you need to find out from the manufacturer.

1) if they can be controlled by a 3rd party controller. A lot of newer LED's are coming with their own controller and you can't connect it to a 3rd party controller.

2) If it can be controlled by a 3rd party controller what does it use analog or PWM.

What is the model of the Reef Radiance lights you have?
all 3 lights are 2013-2014 editions from reef radiance. model # dm-155e.

does this allow me to dim the lights at different times thru the controller?

I'm going to be controlling my lights, eventually my jabeos and then adding on as the time goes on(skimmer, heater, dosers)
Using Tapatalk
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

They look like the updated model of the D120 (D2040) from Evergrow, rebranded and maybe modified slightly. If so, you can't off the shelf.

A few have hacked the old D120's to be controlled. You can try:

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=d120
Jack
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Wow what a bummer. I'll have to get into contact with reef radiance and ask them
Using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

The Reef Radiance web site has information out about the new 2014 models I can't find any info about the 2012-13 models.

If the 2012-13 models are like the 2014 and have dimming knobs on the unit I would say that you can't connect them to a 3rd party controller like the RA without doing some modifications. (which may or may not be possible).

There is no mention of if it is analog or PWM either so I can't be sure about that.

Best shot is to e-mail them an dsee if it can be controlled by a 3rd party controller and if the drivers are analog or PWM.

My guess is that if it can be dome it's not an easy thing, you would have to open the fixtures and modify them somehow.

I did a brief Google search for "Reef Radiance dm-155e controlled by an Apex" and really didn't find anything.

I did Apex because there are more Apex users then Reef Angel and if it can be done with an Apex then the Reef Angel can do it.
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:The Reef Radiance web site has information out about the new 2014 models I can't find any info about the 2012-13 models.

If the 2012-13 models are like the 2014 and have dimming knobs on the unit I would say that you can't connect them to a 3rd party controller like the RA without doing some modifications. (which may or may not be possible).

There is no mention of if it is analog or PWM either so I can't be sure about that.

Best shot is to e-mail them an dsee if it can be controlled by a 3rd party controller and if the drivers are analog or PWM.

My guess is that if it can be dome it's not an easy thing, you would have to open the fixtures and modify them somehow.

I did a brief Google search for "Reef Radiance dm-155e controlled by an Apex" and really didn't find anything.

I did Apex because there are more Apex users then Reef Angel and if it can be done with an Apex then the Reef Angel can do it.
well this is horrible news :( hopefully RR tells me something different. if not, looks like I might be selling these lights. stinks, bc I just bought em.and I like them
Using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I may be wrong, but just looking at things I don't think it is a simple thing to do.
It will definitely take opening it up and doing some modifications, but I couldn't find anyone bragging about the fact that they did it.

For you I hope I am wrong.
Let us know what RR says.
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:I may be wrong, but just looking at things I don't think it is a simple thing to do.
It will definitely take opening it up and doing some modifications, but I couldn't find anyone bragging about the fact that they did it.

Yeah I hope its capable but we'll see. I'll definitely keep ya guys posted. thanks!
Using Tapatalk
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:I may be wrong, but just looking at things I don't think it is a simple thing to do.

Yeah I hope its capable but we'll see. I'll definitely keep ya guys posted. thanks!
Using Tapatalk
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

I am pretty sure the light is an Evergrow product. Evergrow first came out w/ the D120 a few years ago, which caught on quick. Just google it. Then this year (or late last year), they came out w/ an upgrade, while discontinuing the D120. The new model is called the D2040, main difference is the shell is modeled after the "IT" series (sleeker) and a better hanging kit, and they sell it to a bunch of resellers like Reef Radiance and Reef Breeders. When RR says "we", that's kind of misleading unless they have done significant modifications to it. If you see the link I posted above, it is the closest that I have found of anyone hacking the light to be controlled by the RA. But I don't believe anyone has opened the new D2040 (your light) to see if the internals are the same as the old one. If not, you will have to experiment a bit.

I have the D120 and love it. Not being able to control it via RA is not a huge deal as the sunset/sunrise effects or storms are not a huge deal for me. But I may do the hack posted in the link above in the future on a back up unit.

Let us know what they say.
Jack
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

If it doesn't work I got 2 of these and I know it works analog, I think it will work PWM, but I just haven't tried it yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-LED-Li ... 417e0cde7c

I don't think there are any drivers in them. They come with theses cheap Led dimmers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-100-12V-5A-Di ... 2c85d08e5e

For the Analog you would need to use the Mean Well ELN-60-48D drivers.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

howaboutme wrote:I am pretty sure the light is an Evergrow product. Evergrow first came out w/ the D120 a few years ago, which caught on quick. Just google it. Then this year (or late last year), they came out w/ an upgrade, while discontinuing the D120. The new model is called the D2040, main difference is the shell is modeled after the "IT" series (sleeker) and a better hanging kit, and they sell it to a bunch of resellers like Reef Radiance and Reef Breeders. When RR says "we", that's kind of misleading unless they have done significant modifications to it. If you see the link I posted above, it is the closest that I have found of anyone hacking the light to be controlled by the RA. But I don't believe anyone has opened the new D2040 (your light) to see if the internals are the same as the old one. If not, you will have to experiment a bit.

I have the D120 and love it. Not being able to control it via RA is not a huge deal as the sunset/sunrise effects or storms are not a huge deal for me. But I may do the hack posted in the link above in the future on a back up unit.

Let us know what they say.
howaboutme I think the D-120's can be modded to be controlled by the RA. I think lnevo did it.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Yep, posted the RA forum link above. :)

I don't believe Lee has done it yet. I asked him about it a few months ago but it could be a new development. I am way to chicken to do it until I have a back up fixture.
Jack
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I thought he told me he did it. I may be wrong.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Still havent done it.

You won't get anywhere with RR...been there done that. The hack may work or not.

I just haven't had time and have a few pre-reqs I want to take care of first...also the lights are pretty new and do have a warranty i dont particularly want to void just yet.

It's really not that big of a deal, you'll still be able to control on/off just not dimming.
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Yeah I guess that's not too bad. Just going from ReefBreeders light with a built in timer to these kinda stinks. I miss the dimming part :/
Using Tapatalk
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Why'd you switch? The RB is basically the same light with the controller.
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

lnevo wrote:Why'd you switch? The RB is basically the same light with the controller.
I originally bought a photon 48 for my 90g tank. but then I upgraded shortly after to the 150g and the light didn't quite cover enough area. so I sold that and went with 3 reef radiance lights.
Using Tapatalk
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Makes sense...yeah the led situation is annoying. None of the good lights have integration that we can use.... And they all want the control in their software/panel...

The good news is that you got an awesome set of lights for less than the cost of a used radion g1. And if you decide they arent for you, there's a good amount of demand out there. You can always use one on a fuge too and frag tanks :) that's if you can't deal with on/off...

If you want i could help you configure an east west effect for the three fixtures. :)
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

lnevo wrote:Makes sense...yeah the led situation is annoying. None of the good lights have integration that we can use.... And they all want the control in their software/panel...

The good news is that you got an awesome set of lights for less than the cost of a used radion g1. And if you decide they arent for you, there's a good amount of demand out there. You can always use one on a fuge too and frag tanks :) that's if you can't deal with on/off...

If you want i could help you configure an east west effect for the three fixtures. :)
what do you mean east/west affect? lol
Using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Just like the Sun. It starts on one end of the tank (the east) and goes to the other side (the west).

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk
Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:Just like the Sun. It starts on one end of the tank (the east) and goes to the other side (the west).

no I know that Lol I meant like, how do you do that?
Using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

You have one of your 3 lights come on then 1/2 hour later the 2nd light cones on and the the 3rd 1/2 hour after that.
You can have them all fade up slowly and even cross each other a bit.

Sobos Reef

Post by Sobos Reef »

Sacohen wrote:You have one of your 3 lights come on then 1/2 hour later the 2nd light cones on and the the 3rd 1/2 hour after that.
You can have them all fade up slowly and even cross each other a bit.

I guess I could do that. just need to get a controller Lol right now I have 2 of the lights on those bulky circle timers. the 3rd one I'm doing manually bc I have no more room for another time
Using Tapatalk