Things I need to know on reef angel

victim

Things I need to know on reef angel

Post by victim »

Hey I am thinking of purchasing the reef angel plus and wifi adapter. Just wondering how the probes hold up and how hard would this thing be to set up. Any insight you could give me on these systems and what I might need besides this to get going.
cosmith71

Re: Things I need to know on reef angel

Post by cosmith71 »

It's not any harder than other controllers to set up. There is a Wizard to set up most functions. The probes are standard, universal type stuff. pH probes will need to be replaced about every year or so.

What all do you want to control? The basic system comes with pH, one temp probe, two float switches, two dimming ports, and 8 outlets.

You can add one expansion module (WiFi doesn't count against this) such as an extra relay box, extra dimming ports, fancy water level sensor, etc. Get an expansion module if you want more than one.

Tell us what your setup is like and we can give better suggestions. :D

--Colin
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

The probes hold up pretty well. I've heard that they should be replaced every couple of years.
Set up is pretty easy if you use the Wizard.
Advance coding is a little tougher depending on what you know and your ability to learn.
There are plenty of people here to help some of the harder coding.

What you need is dependent on what you want to do.

With the RA + and the WiFi module you can...
Monitor 1 temp
Monitor 1 pH
Turn on/off up to 8 devices.
Dimming or control the speed of 2 devices. (Analog or PWM)
Set up a simple ATO system.

By monitoring the temp and pH you can control a calcium reactor, heaters, fans, a chiller.
victim

Post by victim »

I would like to control sunrise and sunset and maybe storms. I want the ato, ph, temp, and maybe salinity probe. This controller just seems like you get an awful lot at very reasonable price. I guess I just wanted to make sure the equipment was as reliable as anything else. And it seems like there is plenty of support for it.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

There is plenty of support and the equipment is reliable,

There are 2 dimming channels on the relay.

Depending on how many channels of lights you want to dim you may need the dimming module and if you get that and the salinity probe you will need the expansion hub.

If you just get the salinity probe OR the dimming module you will not need the expansion module.
victim

Post by victim »

Cool sounds like its everything I need almost out of the box. I appreciate everyone's post.