LED Driver questions

MDB1029

LED Driver questions

Post by MDB1029 »

I am new to the forum here and haven't actually bought a Reef Angel yet but it is definitely in my future.

At this time, I am trying to upgrade my lighting to LED and have decided that going the DIY route is what is needed to get a powerful unit while keeping my cost low. The only component I can't really get my mind around is the driver. On a couple websites there are a few dimming drivers that say they are Neptune Apex and Reefkeeper compatible, but they don't mention if they are compatible with Reef Angel.

So basically I am looking for a driver that I am able to use now, without the RA, and then also once I have it. The ones i have seen are Meanwell, but I have seen Inventronics available as well and really don't know if either of these brands are any good. I also don't know the pros and cons of analog or PWM dimming. So i am also looking for a recommendation as to which of these types would be better.

Thank you in advance.

Danny
lnevo

Re: LED Driver questions

Post by lnevo »

Anything that will work with apex and reefkeeper will work with the reefangel. Those devices use analog signal drivers. Storm-X and bluefish type controllers use PWM drivers. The RA can do both!!! It all depends on you configuration. There are pros and cons to both methods. Different drivers have different features as far as speed, responsiveness, power, and dimmability (difference between 1% or 2% for instance...0% is off?) you really need to do your research on this one...theres a lot of choice. Honestly people are buying evergrow d120 style lights. You can't beat less than $100 per fixture. No way diy will come close. The only difference between diy and that solution is control. For instance I've added controlability to my evergrow, but after ~7% thats about the lowest they go. They do not turn off at 0% either. But i paid $225 in january and that could not come close to what I would have needed in a diy fixture :) i think i priced it out to about 700 for mine :)

Anyway, lots to research. I think many people these days use the ldd drivers from meanwell. There are a lot of sources to get the X-up boards that will hold as many driver chips you need and the drivers themselves are relatively cheap. Those take 0-5V analog if I believe which yes, we can do too :)