New to the forum and to RA

MDB1029

New to the forum and to RA

Post by MDB1029 »

So I am new to this forum and not technically new to RA since I have not purchased the RA yet. Hoping to have all the cash i need for it by the end of this month.

To say that I am intimidated by the programming would be an understatement and hoping that this community can help me out. I don't have any background in computers or programming but I am not a complete idiot and can learn things rather quickly and am hoping you guys wouldn't mind posting some links of content that may help me out for just starting out.

If it helps I will tell you what my initial plans are. I plan on getting the RA+ with pwm dimming with the wifi and Relay expansion. I am getting the relay expansion because I have a remote sump and want to be able to run everything from the RA. I have 2 rapidled diy fixtures with meanwell pwm drivers, independent fans for lights, 2 Jebao wp25s, cruddy moonlights which will upgrade to the RA lunar lights in the future, ato, ats, skimmer, jebao DC9000 return, 1-2 heaters. I don't think I am missing anything.

So I don't know what all is pre-programmed and what I will have to learn how to do but I would like to atleast have some cool effects with the lighting; sunrise/set cloud cover lightning.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.
cosmith71

Re: New to the forum and to RA

Post by cosmith71 »

Welcome!

The Wizard can set up most of those things for you. Pumps and cloud/lightning can be tricky but it's not anything that hasn't been done many, many times before. There's definitely plenty of help.

--Colin
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

I really appreciate your advice and at least with that, I don't think I will have a problem with the basics.

I am pretty good with researching and applying what I have read so I was hoping to get some specific threads from RA seasoned people. I want to have good understanding of the RA so I can hit the ground running when I finally do get hardware. I did read one thread called Quick tips from a newbie, for the newbies... which had some decent information but if you think the wizard will prepare me enough then i guess i will have to wait until I get the RA in hand.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Here's another good one.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3353

Also, you don't need the hardware to install the software and play with the Wizard. Just hit "Generate Only" instead of "Generate and Upload".

--Colin
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

cosmith71 wrote:Here's another good one.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3353

Also, you don't need the hardware to install the software and play with the Wizard. Just hit "Generate Only" instead of "Generate and Upload".

--Colin
This thread is exactly what i was looking for. Some great information in there. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I did try to download the software and it told me to do something with the wire that connects to the controller so i stopped. I think I have it loaded now but i am not sure if i am looking at the right thing or not. the window title says with the arduino -+ symbol in front of it then "sketch_feb17a | Arduino. Does that sound right or am i on the wrong screen?

Again thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You're welcome!

That's correct. The wizard is in the tools menu.