Lights driven by actual outdoor conditions?

DmnYnkee

Lights driven by actual outdoor conditions?

Post by DmnYnkee »

I was wondering if this idea has already been done, or pondered. Is there a photo sensor, or an array of sensors that could be placed outside/attached to roof, and could be translated into driving aquarium lighting? I know the effect can be achieved using solatubes to light an aquarium, but could it be done with LEDs without being grossly cost prohibitive?

I found Pixelteq's PixelSensor; Multispectral Photodiodes doing a quick search, but I am sure there are others. Could these be applied to the home aquarium industry? I envision having a default lighting program to use if you don't want the aquarium to emulate actual outdoor conditions, or an auto mode that would. If it's sunny out, tank is nice and bright. If a storm rolls through, tank responds appropriately. Sunrise, sunset, dawn, dusk, moon cycle, clouds, would all be automatic.

Would love to hear thoughts and ideas.
Cheers,
Chris
lnevo

Re: Lights driven by actual outdoor conditions?

Post by lnevo »

Yes but why would you want to replicate your outdoor lighting conditions in your tank? Do you live in an area that grows coral well?
DmnYnkee

Post by DmnYnkee »

I would somewhat expect tinkering with the output percentages to start off, especially since I do not live at typical reef depth, lol.

I live in central Florida, so I am close to reef capable latitudes. I am just trying to think outside the box a bit. Trying to harness the randomness of mother nature, and the seasonal angle of the sun and the varied wavelengths that are created.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Well we've got geolocation and cloud effects. We do have a PAR meter which you could place by a window and take some readings to make other decisions.