PWM and Analog outputs - Confused

fit

PWM and Analog outputs - Confused

Post by fit »

I really am not able to make sense of a few things.

Does the Plus Controller itself come with these output built in (or is it in the relay box)? - PWM or Analog? If it does, then is there one or two outputs are on this controller? Also, can the PWM type of controller be converted to the Analog output type, or vice versa?

Same questions exactly for the Relay box.

I ask, because I would like to know what I would need to control two of the d120 type Chinese LED fixtures on the same tank. Each fixture has two channels, one for the whites and one for the blues. So a total of 4 channels. I don't mind if the whites on the separate fixtures cannot be operated separately from one another, or the blues, but I want separate control on the whites and the blues.
lnevo

Re: PWM and Analog outputs - Confused

Post by lnevo »

There are jumpers if you decide to convert. There are two ports that can be set to analog or pwm. You can connect multiple drivers to each port.
fit

Post by fit »

Thank you Inevo. I can tell you know exactly what's the deal here. However, I'm still mightily confused.

Are the jumpers you refer to in the Controller main unit, or the relay box(es), or both?
Where are these PWM/Analog outputs? On the main Controller box, or the relay box(es), or both?
Lastly, if it's so simple to convert, then why is there a different price for the PWM and the Analog "versions"?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Jumpers are in the relay box.
The head unit only generates PWM signal and it travel through the cable and it is then converted in the relay box if you want analog signal.
Simply switch the jumpers and you switch the signal. It is pretty simple, but requires you to open the relay box, you will need to break the plastic weld on the relay box.
Roberto.
fit

Post by fit »

I now have the understanding. Thank you. I think this should be explained, just like this, on the description to the two versions of the Reef Angel main units, and wherever you describe the relay boxes.

Do you also agree that I could control two LED drivers off one port?

I will have two relay boxes. One Relay Expansion Hub, One Expansion Hub. So I believe that means I will have 4 channels anyway right? I won't necessarily need the Dimming Expansion right?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you can connect multiple drivers in each dimming port, but the dimming ports in any relay expansion box is disabled and can't be used.
Roberto.
fit

Post by fit »

Please repeat this in another way. I do not understand this at all. Did you mean to say "Yes, you can connect multiple drivers TO each dimming port, but the dimming ports in any ADDITIONAL relay expansion box is disabled and can't be used."?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you only have 2 dimming ports, which you can connect multiple drivers in each of them.
The dimming ports in any additional relay expansion module are disabled and will not work as a dimming port.
If you need additional, you need the dimming expansion module.
Roberto.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Aren't the PWM and Analog labels reversed on the jumper?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, they are.
Roberto.
fit

Post by fit »

Ok. Thank you all for the answers. I have a much clearer understanding.

I really do think this basic information should be presented in a clear way on the product description or manual. By the way, When I try to download the manual at the product description, it presents me with the same Arduino code downloads for Mac or PC no matter what extension or attachment I am at. Where are the actual manuals?
fit

Post by fit »

I found the manuals. Kept missing the fact that there were tabs. However the manual for the relay box does not include a picture of the dimming ports or the fact that only the first one will have those ports active.