Thinking of buying Reef Angel. Have questions.

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
jdoenumber2

Thinking of buying Reef Angel. Have questions.

Post by jdoenumber2 »

Do i have to buy the Wifi module to get real time streaming and network capability? Is there any way to control and monitor Reef Angel, with a Android capable phone? Can i hard wire it into my router, so i can access it wirelessly with either my phone web browser or my mac? Can it be monitored and controlled from a remote location. As if i were on vacation. I can clearly see that this unit is far more equipped, then the Apex jr i am considering. I just don't feel like using the wifi module if it is not needed.

Thank you,

Jason
rimai

Re: Thinking of buying Reef Angel. Have questions.

Post by rimai »

Several ways you can do that.
Through wifi and connect remotely from any browser, including mobile browser or using Dave's client suite installed on a computer. Then, you can use an android app to remote desktop your computer.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18
For just remote monitoring, you can accomplish by using a webbanner or connecting straight into the built-in webserver of the wifi attachment.
Roberto.
jdoenumber2

Post by jdoenumber2 »

thank you for the reply. So from what i understand you basically need the additional wifi module to do what i want, unlike the apex jr. is there a simpler solution?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Only if you use android app to connect remotely to a computer connected to RA.
Roberto.
jdoenumber2

Post by jdoenumber2 »

Any way to set up sms or email alerts? Also i am a mac user does that affect anything? Thanks again
jdoenumber2

Post by jdoenumber2 »

What is the warranty of this unit? Is it UL listed? It seems modular but, is it upgradeable if there is a new control module? Is there a new control module in the works, if known? Does it control heaters and chillers? I have limited knowledge of coding. Nor do i care to learn. How often are there updates available or do you just cut and paste code? Sorry for so many questions. I really like what i see and intend on purchasing this unit if all is understood prior to purchase.
binder

Post by binder »

jdoenumber2 wrote:Any way to set up sms or email alerts? Also i am a mac user does that affect anything? Thanks again
Yes, you can setup the code to send alerts based on certain specified events. This does, however, require the use of the wifi module if it's being sent from the controller.

As far as being a mac user, the Client Suite is only on Windows currently. Not sure what the progress is of it for Mac.

As for creating the code for your controller, you will not need to learn how to code. It's fairly straight forward. I've created an app called RAGen that handles a lot of the "heavy lifting" for you. However, it's a windows based app. I've been working on converting it to a cross platform application but haven't completed it yet. I cannot give you a time frame either. It's going to include an overhaul of the app to make it more user friendly and straight forward.

Then with the android comment, that development actually has just begun. It's still in the designing phase by me. Initially it will just display the information from the controller but will have the ability to toggle ports on/off in the future. I cannot give timeframe either because I just started working on the design last night and just got the SDK installed.

Side Note: Yes, I let the "cat out of the bag" for the rest of you who are reading this. I just bought an android tablet so now I have something to play with and test on.

Sounds like you may need to have the wifi module installed if you cannot run the client suite on your computer. This way you can have the controller send the data to reefangel.com for a web banner or you can just connect to the controller directly to monitor the controller.

Hopefully this helps with some of your questions. Feel free to keep asking away. It's not a burden to ask. It's always better to ask than to assume.

curt
jdoenumber2

Post by jdoenumber2 »

Thank you very much for the well informed reply.
rimai

Post by rimai »

binder wrote:Side Note: Yes, I let the "cat out of the bag" for the rest of you who are reading this. I just bought an android tablet so now I have something to play with and test on.
Nice :)
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

Here's more answers to your questions:
What is the warranty of this unit?
I cannot answer this one. I do not know. This one will have to be answered by Roberto.
Is it UL listed?
Again, cannot answer. Roberto will have to answer this one.
It seems modular but, is it upgradeable if there is a new control module? Is there a new control module in the works, if known?

So far, if there is a new control module, I believe it should be upgradeable because the modules are designed to fit in the same housing. I know that a future module has been discussed but I do not know what the status is of it.
Does it control heaters and chillers?
Yes, it does. The way the heaters and chillers are controlled is by specifying what ports they are connected to and then provide a temperature that you would like the heaters & chillers to turn on and off at. This is customizable easily through the setup menus or via RAGen. If you have not downloaded and played around with RAGen, I would suggest that you do. You do not have to have a controller to play around with the software that generates the code.
I have limited knowledge of coding. Nor do i care to learn. How often are there updates available or do you just cut and paste code?
I know I already answered this one before but I'll still add the answer again here. You do not need to know anything about coding if you want to update the controller. RAGen handles most (if not all) of the standard heavy lifting. If there is something specific that you would like your controller to do, then you may have to do some custom coding or ask somebody how to do it and they would do it for you and provide you with code to copy & paste to perform your desired tasks.

There are updates periodically to add in more features and to continue to improve existing functionality as well as fix any "bugs" that may have been found. It is not necessary to update your software unless you want some of the new features.

Hopefully this helps answer the questions you have.

curt