JEBO WP-40

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
lnevo

Re: JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

I like this answer...

The best answer will be "buy a reef angel".

It makes the most sense ;)
andyrm66

Post by andyrm66 »

bhazard wrote:
andyrm66 wrote:Is it true this will work with the apex? Is anything else needed? Does it have the RJ45 on the end to plug into the Apex V1/v2 - V3/V4 port?

People on RC are reporting it will work with both the Apex and RA.

Just curious if I just need the new cable or also need to run a PWM controller in-between or anything like that., thanks.
It's kind of like going to the Neptune forums and asking if Reef Angel's connector will work. The best answer will be "buy a reef angel".

You will need to modify the RA harness, and then create your own cable or use an apex vdm cable. Its not too difficult, but since RC banned me, I prefer to keep that information to myself, or shared to other forums.

Those trying it on a Reefkeeper with the APC module will probably have to modify it as well.
Sorry to infringe. I wish I could buy an RA, but bought my Apex before the RA was a viable option. I didn't ban you from RC, that whole deal sucks, nor do I know what happened.

So much for helping a fellow reefer out, even if they don't belong to the elite ReefAngel Owners Club. If this is the general attitude of RA owners - have fun.
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

If you read the reply you quoted, the question was answered. It would require modification but it could work.

My reply was a light hearted joke...
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

And the part that you did not put in bold said that he would (and did) share in other forums...
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

And FYI, this is the part you need...
You will need to modify the RA harness, and then create your own cable or use an apex vdm cable.
So basically, RA has done all the work to create the harness, you just need to splice it into a plug to connect to the VDM.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

andyrm66 wrote:So much for helping a fellow reefer out, even if they don't belong to the elite ReefAngel Owners Club. If this is the general attitude of RA owners - have fun.
Sorry for all the multiple replies... this just disturbs me when we have a very helpful forum and active RA and NON-RA users. Hope my last few posts have been able to help your situation.
Piper

Post by Piper »

andyrm66 wrote:Sorry to infringe. I wish I could buy an RA, but bought my Apex before the RA was a viable option. I didn't ban you from RC, that whole deal sucks, nor do I know what happened.

So much for helping a fellow reefer out, even if they don't belong to the elite ReefAngel Owners Club. If this is the general attitude of RA owners - have fun.
He's probably just a little upset over what happened still. I'm not really sure what happened over there that got him banned either to be honest with you.

You'll find that, in general, people here will try to help you out to a certain extent even if you're using a different product. The RA cable should work fine but, as already mentioned, you will need to modify it to plug into your controller. That should be a fairly simple task. As far as coding it goes, you will need to go to to Apex for support there. I'm not familiar with their controller and not sure how you would code it.

~Charlie
dbmet

JEBO WP-40

Post by dbmet »

Found this while doing some searching.
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/gen ... -40-a.html

Looks like you will need to modify the reef angel cable to interface
With the apex cable. As for programming I can't help there.
Last edited by dbmet on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rimai

Post by rimai »

[quote="andyrm66]Sorry to infringe. I wish I could buy an RA, but bought my Apex before the RA was a viable option. I didn't ban you from RC, that whole deal sucks, nor do I know what happened.

So much for helping a fellow reefer out, even if they don't belong to the elite ReefAngel Owners Club. If this is the general attitude of RA owners - have fun.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure he is an APEX user :)
I don't think he owns a RA controller...lol
The reason I can't say for sure that it works on APEX is because I don't own one, so I can't test it.
But in theory, it should work on any controller provided that you cut the connector and place your own instead.
Roberto.
andyrm66

Post by andyrm66 »

I can handle the programming. I was just interested in what needed to be done to the cable, as some RA users also have Apex units - bhazard.

I did not see exactly what the RA cable does, there was some mention of it using 0-5volt, or maybe a da converter. How does the RA cable replace using a 0-10v 12-24v PWM module. If it is just replacing the Ra connector end of the cable with an RJ45 with proper wire placement, that's all the needed to be said. Not "buy an RA"
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Andy,

I'm the only one that said to "buy an RA" and I said after it was meant as a joke.

And bhazard's reference was an analogy on asking your question here, probably meaning that APEX users would know more about the situation than we would..

This is an open and inclusive forum, with people who work very hard to help others, so please don't get the wrong impression.
andyrm66

Post by andyrm66 »

hmm, the Apex forum doesn't have a user building a cable, nor posting about using WB40's with an Apex. Both of which bhazard has quite extensive knowledge and understanding of. Saying "I was banned from RC, so I just wont share or Ill share elsewhere" has nothing to do with this forum. Its a little ridiculous. Rather than just providing the info needed to help another reefer out

Ill just order up a 0-10volt 12-24 volt PWM and do it that way.

Thanks.
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

andyrm66 wrote:hmm, the Apex forum doesn't have a user building a cable, nor posting about using WB40's with an Apex. Both of which bhazard has quite extensive knowledge and understanding of. Saying "I was banned from RC, so I just wont share or Ill share elsewhere" has nothing to do with this forum. Its a little ridiculous. Rather than just providing the info needed to help another reefer out

Ill just order up a 0-10volt 12-24 volt PWM and do it that way.

Thanks.
It actually does have everything to do with this forum. This is a reef angel forum. Why would I want to take business away from Reef Angel and provide it to a competitor by posting that info here? It is not the place to do so.
andyrm66

Post by andyrm66 »

You wouldn't be taking business away from RA by helping people that already own Apex units. You would simply be helping fellow reef enthusiasts out and bolster sales for RA as they are the only ones offering a cable for these pumps. Once again, elite RA only attitude. See how much business you BRING to RA with that stellar attitude.
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

andyrm66 wrote:You wouldn't be taking business away from RA by helping people that already own Apex units. You would simply be helping fellow reef enthusiasts out and bolster sales for RA as they are the only ones offering a cable for these pumps. Once again, elite RA only attitude. See how much business you BRING to RA with that stellar attitude.
I have nothing to do with Reef Angel. It's simple common courtesy, which you lack. I would have posted all the info elsewhere, but you can now figure it out on your own.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Anyway, let's get on with the topic of discussing the WP-40. Thanks
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

So with all the cool settings, will there be a way to change them via the portal/apps? I can't imagine uploading the sketch just to try out a new wave pattern.
Piper

Post by Piper »

Not via the portal at this time but you can do it with any of the apps that allow you to change internal memory. You would need to set up your code to use internal memory (set up memory locations for wave pattern, params, etc.) and use the app to change the values in internal memory when you want to switch.
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

You could leverage the memory locations used by the rf module for the vortechs and use the dropdown on the portal :)
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

Good idea,

Now I plan on using Drew's Ethernet solution as the pwm to control the pump. I have to figure that part out yet.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

lnevo wrote:You could leverage the memory locations used by the rf module for the vortechs and use the dropdown on the portal :)
This is what I would like to do. How would I do it? You gave me a quick lesson on Memloc and Values last night. Is it possible to assign different wave patters to specific momlocs and then activate them buy selecting the vortech pattern you would like? If so would you specify your range in your code? I would like to know what the easiest way to find my max power % on the WP40 for my tank. After last night I was thinking MB220,xxx until I feel its too strong. Any other suggestion of how to do this with out constant uploading?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

So, you would just use the functions InternalMemory.RFMode_read(), InternalMemory.RFSpeed_read(), InternalMemory.RFDuration_read() to get the values you want. Then you can set them from the portal drop down.

You can assign variables to the result of those functions and use that in your wavemaker functions. When you change it on the portal, your function will reflect it. Then you wouldn't need to constantly change your URL and you could use the Vortech memory locations so you get the nice interface..

The location your referring to is the stock locations for the WaveMaker() functions which you can certainly use as well. But you basically have the idea.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Im not sure I follow. Good new is I just ordered a 50ft USB extension so I will no longer have to unhook my RA and have my tank offline!! AND my pump just arrived!! WHOOT!!

Im not at all familiar with the modes. I think I would like it to ramp up and down over random periods with the shortest being 90sec.

InternalMemory.RFMode_read(ReefCrestMode)
InternalMemory.RFSpeed_read(50) Im guessing 50 percent is a good place to start for me?
InternalMemory.RFDuration_read(90,900) Im sure there needs to be something that says random. But then again im not sure about much in this post :)

Then call the code with
ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( ReefCrestModeRandom1(90,900) );
??
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

No.

Your going to use the RF- Vortech interface in the portal to set your speed...

Then your going to do something like this.

int mode=InternalMemory.RFMode_read();
int speed=InternalMemory.RFSpeed_read();
int duration=InternalMemory.RFDuration_read();

if (mode=ReefCrest) {
ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( ReefCrestMode(speed,duration) );
} else if (mode=...
}

ReefCrest function already produces random output... if you want more randomness you'll need to set a range and do a randomization on the number you are setting your speed at... now when you want to adjust your speed, you can just use the portal and change the speed and implement whatever modes you want. You just tie them to the vortech menu for ease of use.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Exactly what I was looking for. Ill have to spend some time messing with it.
Set the portal RF to reefcrest, speed to 50ish, duration 180.
I would need your reef crest code posted on page 7 after the last } in my code inorder to reference the mode?
Then cut and paste the above code in void loop?
What other modes are available?

Thats it?
Trial and error
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

The "duration" for ReefCrestMode mode is used as the speed variable argument...meaning how man percent up or down from the default speed. You don't want 180!!

Yes you'll need the ReefCrestMode function for it to work. There's a thread that Roberto compiled with all the current wave patterns we have. You can setup your function to use any / all. :)

Oh and I forgot the current reef crest function takes sync and anti sync args. Don't use the function on page 7, find the thread with the latest versions..
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Found it! Cut/Pasted and Labeled all modes and emailed them to myself from work!! Once I set the RF setting with in portal I wont have to change anything in the code?
I adjust the names in both the first 2 lines to reflect the proper mode?

//Reefcrest
if (mode=ReefCrest) {
ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( ReefCrestMode(speed,duration) );
} else if (mode=...
}

You guys must get tired of being told how helpful you are! The truth is I would have sold this thing in the first week if you and Roberto werent so helpful! Thanks yet AGAIN!
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

Why not use switch case instead of if else statements? Seems much cleaner.
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

Yes...trying not to confuse him :)
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

lnevo wrote:Yes...trying not to confuse him :)
AND I thank you for that!!