relay box heating up

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
psyrob

relay box heating up

Post by psyrob »

Roberto:

The cord that connects the relay box to the outlet in the wall is extremely hot to the touch...and it smells in my room...what is happening? I have had the reefangel since last wednesday, and it has been running since Thursday...this is the first that this has happened...I think I should unplug it,it is so hot I can't hold it for a second or two!!!
psyrob

Re: relay box heating up

Post by psyrob »

Well, I had to take action, so I unplugged the box and attached all my equipment to the old school timers I have...Do I have a bad relay box or what? It seems this one might be a fire hazard, as it was heating the cord up to the point that I couldn't touch it for more than a second...
rimai

Post by rimai »

I sent you a PM
Roberto.
chase

Post by chase »

I've had a similar problem as well. I noticed about a week ago that the power cord was very warm so I started keeping tabs on it. I found out it tends to run warm, but when the heater comes on it heats up significantly. I'm not running halides or anything crazy with my setup. The relay box seems okay, but the cord temperature is what I'm really concerned about.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll look for another power cord supplier.
You got PM.
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Thanks for the feedback.
You got PM.
Roberto.
chase

Post by chase »

rimai wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
You got PM.
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I started using the new power cord that came with the relay expansion box I ordered with no issues at all. The old/new cords have different markings so it seems like the one I got with the new box is working fine.