Porting from AVR to ARM

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
scurvyrat

Re: Porting from AVR to ARM

Post by scurvyrat »

rimai wrote::(
Do you have access to their cloud software to upload codes yet?
unfortunately, I don't. Will post when I get my hands on one.

I've been checking out their forum:https://community.sparkdevices.com/

and there are posts by people who have them. The I2C pins are exposed so I believe that would enable plug-in-play for Reef Angel accessories.

They are porting the standard Arduino libraries, but 3rd party libs would need to get ported (like OneWire)
QuisaZaderak

Post by QuisaZaderak »

Any News?
rimai

Post by rimai »

I received a prototype board this week and was able to get the Android ADK working on it so far.
I still need to see if the internal RTC works. All the other features are pretty standard and should be no problem for using them.
The biggest thing was to be able to talk to Android directly, which I was able to get it working.
Roberto.
89delta

Post by 89delta »

Oh my, i'm gonna have to keep an eye on this one. Using the ARM means faster and smoother operation. I was looking into the Galileo on adafruit for $99 and using the PCA9685 break out I have from them already and using either a 3.5" or 5" touch-screen.
rootScript

Post by rootScript »

Hello Roberto,
I too am very excited about an ARM based head unit; and have been considering Spark Core, and also reaserching Udoo.

Udoo seems interesting with both ARM i.MX6 CPU and ARM SAM3X8E Atmel, and according to website "ADK 2012 enabled - UDOO can act simultaneously as an Android host device and its connected ADK."
rimai wrote:The main goal here is to be able to support the protocol standard USB OTG (On the Go).
The features list seems amazing: HDMI and LVDS + Touch, USB OTG, camera connection. This is the direction I would love ReefAngel to go too; I can imagine an awesome aquarium controller already, especially with all the experience from ReefAngel community.
rimai wrote:I received a prototype board this week and was able to get the Android ADK working on it so far.
I still need to see if the internal RTC works. All the other features are pretty standard and should be no problem for using them.
You mentioned your progress with the Spark Core, have you also looked at the Udoo?
I'm sure a lot of us are wondering if you could estimate any timescale you might have in mind for a ARM based head unit with Android?

Regards,
Carlos
QuisaZaderak

Post by QuisaZaderak »

Any News on the porting? No new post since 4 months :-(
89delta

Post by 89delta »

Hi Roberto,

Any news on a port to a different MCU?
rimai

Post by rimai »

I started it, but never went forward with it.
There were some issues with libraries in too early stages of being used yet, so I decided to wait out a bit.
Roberto.