Stray voltage

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
chapboogie

Re: Stray voltage

Post by chapboogie »

I have the new dimming module, and it fixed mine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

I think I'll try the old driver. I think I replaced it but it was a matter of too many led shorted out
In the end. Thanks for the heads up. If not then I'll order one. Thanks
RootsRockReefer

Post by RootsRockReefer »

rimai wrote:Are you using meanwell drivers?
What do you believe meanwell drivers induce to the ra ph probe readings?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Old meanwell drivers didn't do that.
Somewhere along the line, they changed something that started introducing stray voltage into RA through the dimming signal wire.
Roberto.
RootsRockReefer

rimai wrote:Old meanwell drivers didn't do that.
Somewhere along the line, they changed something that started introducing stray voltage into RA through the dimming signal wire.
I will unplug my LED set up and pull the dimming lead tomorrow and see if the PH probe acts normal. Its reading is absolutely unpredictable on a newly set-up controller.

I have bulk lab grade ph7 & ph10 solution. No matter how long I leave the probe in the solution the reading drifts upward?

Is the only way to avoid the galv isolation problem to get the PH expansion module? This should be mentioned in the description I feel misled, why should I buy a ph expansion when we are already sold a PH port?
chapboogie

Post by chapboogie »

The dimming expansion will solve the problem. It isolates the dimming lead from the ph.

RootsRockReefer

So if I simply removing the dimming leads from my LED drivers to the main unit, the PH probe should operate normally then, correct? This would completely remove the only dimming circuit I am using.
chapboogie

Post by chapboogie »

Probably, but that will also make your lights not work.

RootsRockReefer

So its official in my case, within a minute after pulling the dimming leads off the Relay Box the PH reading went from its 2.45 to the more expected 7.98. Re-calibrated the probe for kicks came in at 8.21 which is right in line with my standard PH test kits reading. After an hour the reading was still basically steady reading like 8.17 to 8.22. Pushed the dimming leads back on the relay box the PH reading within a matter of moments was back down to the 2.54 level.

Dimming module is the key i suppose,
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

I was running into to same issue last night with the low PH reading (6.00) in the test solutions it was 7.00 and 10.00 put some tank water in a cup and that was 8.00 but probe in the tank and it went down..

Turned out to be a ATO float switch was causing the leak and the bad readings. with Roberto's help last night we had it fixed in about 10 minutes..

Thanks all for the quick turnaround on problem solving...
neuro

Post by neuro »

paulvisco wrote:I was running into to same issue last night with the low PH reading (6.00) in the test solutions it was 7.00 and 10.00 put some tank water in a cup and that was 8.00 but probe in the tank and it went down..

Turned out to be a ATO float switch was causing the leak and the bad readings. with Roberto's help last night we had it fixed in about 10 minutes..

how did you fix it? i have the same problem. i even bought new ATO switches, which helped initially until it failed again.
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

neuro wrote:
paulvisco wrote:I was running into to same issue last night with the low PH reading (6.00) in the test solutions it was 7.00 and 10.00 put some tank water in a cup and that was 8.00 but probe in the tank and it went down..

how did you fix it? i have the same problem. i even bought new ATO switches, which helped initially until it failed again.
good water proofing on my splices for the cable.. I used shrink with hot melt glue in it so that it creates a water tight splice. my original problem was the leads were spliced just above the water line and salt creep and water caused the path to the circuit
Themaddhatter

Post by Themaddhatter »

Just encountered a similar problem last night as soon as I hooked up my reef angel plus. I only have the standard temp probe and a brand new pH probe for sensors, and the main relay box with 2 heaters, 2 powerheads, 2 return pumps, and my lights and skimmer hooked up. The lights are non dimmable. I'll take readings tonight. The equipment was all already running and I had my hands in the tank prior to changing our to the RA+. The pH probe itself shouldn't produce voltage should it?