Stray Voltage - Nothing Plugged In except pH probe.

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:33 pm
So I am confused. I was cleaning the tank today and small cuts on my thumb started tingling. One by one I unplugged every device. The stray voltage still exists with JUST an analog dimming module and the head unit hooked up with a PH probe. The only thing in the water is a pH probe. If I put my finger in the water and dip in the pH probe I feel the tingling on my finger. I am 100% sure there is nothing else plugged in or in the water. The only thing I can think of is the head unit is putting out stray voltage.

Is this even possible? I took apart the head unit and looked for salt creep and couldn't find any, it looked spotless. Is there anything else I should be trying?

Posts: 12200
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:35 pm
Disconnect the dimming module. Does it change anything?
Roberto.

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:39 pm
I switched to a relay module that doesn't have analog dimming and I am getting the same thing.

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:59 pm
I disconnected everything and plugged in the module into another outlet with just the head unit and pH probe. I put the pH probe in a cup and stuck my finger in it. I could still feel stray voltage, also with a damp finger(where the cut is) I touched the BNC connector and could still feel a tingle. I verified I couldn't feel this on any other finger. Not sure what is going on here.

Posts: 12200
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:26 pm
So, you are saying that there is nothing connected to the relay box and nothing in the head unit besides the ph probe, right?
What happens if you plug it into a GFCI receptacle?
Roberto.

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:46 pm
You are correct. Nothing is plugged in to the head unit accept the pH probe. Nothing is plugged in to the relay box either. I have tested plugging it in to 2 GFCI outlets as well as in to a regular wall outlet. This didn't make a difference.

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:08 pm
So I have done some more testing. I had a "grounding" probe in the tank. I took this probe out and put it in a cup of water and got stray voltage off of it, obviously not properly grounded. Still though with just the head unit plugged in and 1 relay module I get stray voltage from the pH probe. Is it possible the grounding probe somehow effected the head unit to cause this problem?

EDIT: So I was getting this stray voltage from the grounding probe when it was plugged in to the same wall socket as the fish tank. If I moved to another wall it was ok. Also if I unplug the ReefAngel from the wall the grounding probe doesn't appear to give off stray voltage.

Posts: 12200
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:22 pm
So weird.
Could it be your ground is not really grounded?
Roberto.

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:29 pm
Well I took the head units, relay box, and pH probe to another room and hooked it up to a completely different outlet. I still received stray voltage when the pH probe was in a glass of water regardless of which relay box I used. I have no clue what is happening, this all started happening sometime between last Thursday and today...

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:40 pm
So I brought a multimeter home from work to do some testing. First I tested for stray voltage on the ground wire in the wall outlet, the reading was 1-2 volts.

Next I moved the relay unit the head unit and the pH probe to another outlet, I stuck the pH probe in a glass of water and took a reading. The multimeter read 47 volts!!!! as soon as I took the probe out of the water it dropped to 1-2 volts. Next I put in a temp probe and got a reading of 25 volts, adding the pH probe did not compound the reading, just read 47 volts.

Next I hooked both relay modules up, the head unit, temp probe, float switches, basically everything that came with the Reef Angel. I did not connect any of my equipment. I took a reading and got 47 volts, even with the PH probe in the sump and the reading was taken from the display tank. I took the PH probe out and it dropped to 25 volts.

Lastly, out of curiosity, I plugged in and turned on all my equipment and the reading rose by 11 volts.

I'm really not sure what is going on but something is definitely wrong.
Next

Return to Standard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests