Stray Voltage - Nothing Plugged In except pH probe.

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:56 pm
Try this:
Get a 12VDC power supply and check the voltage you get from the GND in reference to your wall outlet Ground.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:47 pm
I only had a 19.5VDC power supply. I tested that and it tested at 19.6V. I'm not too concerned with the voltage really it is more the current. The voltage doesn't have a path out of the tank until I stick my hand, or a grounding probe in it. This current goes away, or is at least reduced, when the ReefAngel is removed from the system.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:00 pm
Do you have ph reading problems?
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:04 am
So I have done A LOT of research regarding stray voltage and the aquarium. I have determined that all my devices put SOME current in to the water, the biggest culprits being ungrounded pumps like the power heads and the skimmer. The biggest culprit is still the Reef Angel, when it is turned on the voltage in the tank goes from 32v up to 47v which is a bigger jump than any other single device.

I tested this by plugging in all my equipment in to a power strip leaving the Reef Angel unplugged, the voltage was a steady 32v. As soon as I plugged in the Reef Angel(separate wall outlet) and hooked up the temp probes, pH probe and float switches the voltage went to 47v-50v.

As a test I put on my shoes and stuck my hand in the tank, no tingle on my fingers. I took my shoes off and I can feel the tingle on my fingers.

So everything I read says the tank has the potential to pass 50v of electricity to ground or through me. However current only flows when there is a grounding probe in the tank or I stick my hand in the water. If the tank isn't grounded it is much like a bird sitting on a power line.

So while it isn't ideal that the Reef Angel adds 15v of electricity to the tank it shouldn't be a problem for the inhabitants.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:10 am
Does the pH reading change when you place the grounding probe in the tank?
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:14 am
I'm following along since I'm having the same issues. I've lost a few fish to ich and it only happened after installing my RA and noticing the stray voltage.

I'm thinking the stray voltage is enough to cause the ich to appear. Since I've had most of the fish I've lost for over 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:50 am
When I put the grounding probe in the tank the pH reading doesn't seem to be effected.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 am
That's so weird. When people have stray voltage problems, the pH probe gets wacky readings.
What do you get if you measure your Neutral and Ground in the wall outlet?
Roberto.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:08 am
When I checked the ground wire I did get a reading of 1v. The multimeter read 1 just in open air so not sure if that has to do with humidity or not. I have not checked the neutral wire, I won't be able to do that until Sunday.

One thing I noticed is that when I have everything plugged in and turned off I get a reading of 8-11v. If I flip the breaker .8v. I went through and unplugged everything from all the outlets and flipped the breaker on and the reading went to 8v-11v. So something may be a bit goofy in my apartments wiring. Still boggles my mind why sticking a pH probe in an glass of water by itself puts out 47v.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 pm
rimai wrote:That's so weird. When people have stray voltage problems, the pH probe gets wacky readings.
What do you get if you measure your Neutral and Ground in the wall outlet?

My pH readings are fine and Im still having this issue. Same as meadows even when everything is unplugged.

Im in an apartment as well. I know where my tank is plugged in is hooked up to outlets in the kitchen.
PreviousNext

Return to Standard