dosing pump as ATO

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
rufessor

dosing pump as ATO

Post by rufessor »

OK... I am ordering a reef angel.. but also need to get an ATO set up as my new aquarium is running through about 1 gallon per day.

Can I use 1 of the RA dosing pumps as an ATO pump? I think I would set up both float valves (modded with a PVC cap to keep wandering snails out of it etc) as high switches, one at the level I desire and kinda wet the other up higher as a redundant fail safe. My sump is very quiet, no waves, no foam no spray, so high and dry would not likely foul with salt...

If I do this I calculate the dosing pump as capable of 15 gallon per day (roughly) so it would be on 10% of the time.. I assume lots of people run this way but cannot find information about it... recommended... good bad.. experience?

THanks
rimai

Re: dosing pump as ATO

Post by rimai »

You will wear out the motor quickly.
They are brushed type of motor and for use in continuous use like you are intending, you need to go with a higher grade motor, such as brushless or stepper type of motors, which will also add to the cost of the pump.
Brushed means they have a brush that frictions and wears out as the motor spins. When this brush is depleted, the motor will have to be replaced. On dosing conditions where you just push a few seconds every hour, they last quite a while, but they would get depleted fast if turned on quite often.
Roberto.
rufessor

Post by rufessor »

Thats what I thought I had read somewhere on this forum. THanks... WIll continue to work on a solution. I really dont want to use a pump that can flood my living room in a few minutes...
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

Try an aqualifter pump. They are great for ATO and cheap.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

I use a cole-parmer peristaltic pump. Has never failed me in 5 years. If it got stuck on it would take almost a week to overflow my system.

EBay is a good source. Let me see if I can find you a suitable one real quick.

This is the pump I use. Looks in great shape. Would still need a pump head.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLE-PARMER-754 ... 231170a8d6

This is a new pump head. Would supply 2.8ml/min with L/S 17 tubing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTERFLEX-TUBI ... 5647647db8

A bit pricey as you can see but this setup will last for many years.

They are not silent but are not too noisy.

There are a few other types of pumps you can get.

This seems like its a good deal... I use this type (digital) for my calcium reactor. They are amazing. Completely adjustable. The head looks like its seen better days. Generally the main bearings should be replaced on pump heads if they are used. About $12 total from a local bearing supply house.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Parmer-Mas ... 1c2177d14e

The digital unit will need a remote control hooked up (reefangel can do this) or internal programming set to run the pump when power is applied and use the relay box...