Bus Lock? What is it an how do I clear it?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Sacohen

Bus Lock? What is it an how do I clear it?

Post by Sacohen »

I came home yesterday and noticed that my tank was not behaving right. Lights were on that shouldn't be and one that should weren't.

After trouble shooting a while. I saw on the Universal App it said Bus Lock under the flags section.
I've rebooted the unit and it still exists.

The time on the head unit is not holding.
I set it from the portal yesterday and it seemed to turn my lights off correctly at 9 and 10pm, but when I woke up this morning the lights where on and they are not supposed to come on until 12 and 1 pm.

The time on the head unit was about 12 hrs behind. (it read 6:16pm on 10/27 when it was 6:27 am on 10/28).
I reset it again and then rebooted the system to get the lights to turn off and the lights did not turn off and I noticed the time on the unit was wrong again.

I've gotten the relays to show that they are in the correct positions on the apps and portal, but they are still on when they should be off.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed some strange things happening like my LED lights looked like they flashed brighter for a brief second even though they are not on the dimmer, the A just turns them on and off right now.

I didn't pay much attention to it because everything was working correctly.
lnevo

Re: Bus Lock? What is it an how do I clear it?

Post by lnevo »

Bus lock is no good. I had an issue with it a few weeks back and my calcium doser got stuck on. When you're in that state, everything will be locked up including all the relays. I put the bus lock patch on my RF module and have had no issues since... knock on wood..
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I don't like the sound of that.
Is that patch only for the RF module?
If not where can I find it?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

It was for the rf module. It can be caused by noise, etc. did you change anything recently?
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No.
I've been running with the same code, since I was testing the Dev code a month or so ago.
It's been fine until yesterday with the exception of the couple of time the LED's flashed.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

So what do I do to fix this issue?
Also as I said in the OP the time on the head unit is not being held.
I set it this morning using the Portal and came home this afternoon to find a date and time of 03/24/50 11:14:09
rimai

Post by rimai »

Our RTC also uses the same bus.
Did you ever identify which piece cleared the bus?
It could also be a bad connection on the usb cable.
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

When you mean what piece cleared the bus. Do you mean remove everything and connect it 1 by 1 to see what causes the bus to lock up?
I'll double check the usb cable.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

OK. It seems to be the Expansion Hub itself.
When I unplug the USB from the Expansion Hub he Bus Lock clears.
Then if I plug the Salinity Module, WL sensor and Multi WL Sensor in 1 at a time they each perform as they should.

As soon as I plug the Expansion hub in again I get the Bus Lock again.
wideawake

Post by wideawake »

So what does the 'bus lock' mean? I just noticed this as well when my relays started misbehaving. I thought it was the relays going bad.

When the 'bus lock' status is ON, the relays do not respond to the Android App relay on/off commands.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

It means exactly what it says. The system bus on the unit is locked and no changes can be made to the relays from anything, the app or the portal.

It is a symptom of something not working correctly.

In my case the USB Expansion Hub doesn't work.

If you have multiple expansion modules disconnect them all and plug one at a time directly into the USB port on the relay and see which one causes it to lock up again.
OceanWolf

Post by OceanWolf »

Bus lock scares the s... out of me. I had the same issue. The expansion hub gets stuck. The only way to clear the bus lock was installing a remote controlled switch to turn the whole system off and restart.
Thanks
Onur

wideawake

Post by wideawake »

Mine was due to the RF module. Plugged it out and the bus lock went away. It's been a week since I had any incidents.

I haven't plugged the RF module back in. Maybe try it out during the weekends when I'm not around. But I'm glad my initial suspect that my relays went bad wasn't true.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

wideawake wrote:Mine was due to the RF module. Plugged it out and the bus lock went away. It's been a week since I had any incidents.

I haven't plugged the RF module back in. Maybe try it out during the weekends when I'm not around. But I'm glad my initial suspect that my relays went bad wasn't true.
Apparently there is a fix for the RF modules and this issue...
lnevo wrote:Bus lock is no good. I had an issue with it a few weeks back and my calcium doser got stuck on. When you're in that state, everything will be locked up including all the relays. I put the bus lock patch on my RF module and have had no issues since... knock on wood..