Picking the right things to buy...

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Zexston

Picking the right things to buy...

Post by Zexston »

Hello all,

I've finally made my decision on what controller to buy (3 guesses on which one :D ), and would like some confirmation on exactly what to get and another question or two.

My plan is to get the RA and 2 Jabeo RW8 power heads. If I have read correctly here on the forums - I just need to purchase the heads by themselves and a power supply (no controllers needed) and 2 RA Jabeo cables?

Also - I am planning on controlling 2 mag drive pumps and have found out the hard way they do not like being turned on and off very much. Does the Relay box and/or firmware combat this how?

I've got more Qs, but lets start with those.

Thanks in advance!
rimai

Re: Picking the right things to buy...

Post by rimai »

Correct. No need for their controller.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

For the mags you're not shutting them on/off rapidly like you might if it were a closed loop solution so i doubt you'll have much to worry about..
Zexston

Post by Zexston »

Thanks for the replies! Its one of the reasons I'm choosing RA.

So - No Jabeo controller needed. Check. How about the Jabeo cables? Can I use the ones in the store, or do those only work with the older WP pumps? Also - I assume I will use the dimming ports on the Relay box to control these? And if so, which version: Analog or PWM?

The reason I asked about the mag drive pumps is because I had my high level ATO switch fail while on vacation once. As the water level dropped to the low level float switch, it would shut off the return pump. With no ATO water, it got in a cycle where it would shut off, more water from the display tank would drain to the sump, and then turn on again, etc. My sump is in the basement - so its a lot of water in the pipes.

But maybe with using a more intelligent system (old one is simple relays, float switches, and delay lines), I won't have this problem. That and a redundant ATO supply.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, the jebao cables in the store works for all of them.
You can use either analog or pwm. The cable accepts both.
Roberto.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Why the RW8? I don't know much about them, but I thought their big selling point was the wireless controllers (which you won't be using).

--Colin
Zexston

Post by Zexston »

I read that the RW series pump head design is better than the WP series, and if using the RA - I don't need the controller as the RA does the synching between 2 heads. Also from what I read - the wireless connection between the RW controllers only synchs the On/Off, NOT the speeds.

When the RA controls both - you get On/Off synch AND full speed control from one source. I can buy just the RW pump heads, so there is some extra savings in there as well.

Feel free to let me know if I have misinterpreted my research.

Also - sorry if these are noob questions. Just noticed there is another board for that :oops:
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Zexston wrote:I read that the RW series pump head design is better than the WP series, and if using the RA - I don't need the controller as the RA does the synching between 2 heads. Also from what I read - the wireless connection between the RW controllers only synchs the On/Off, NOT the speeds.

When the RA controls both - you get On/Off synch AND full speed control from one source. I can buy just the RW pump heads, so there is some extra savings in there as well.

Feel free to let me know if I have misinterpreted my research.

Also - sorry if these are noob questions. Just noticed there is another board for that :oops:
50 lashes with a wet noodle for posting in the wrong area! :lol: No biggie.

I know nothing about the RW series. I've always had the WP's. I'm all for a better design, though. I have a WP-40 that I can no longer get apart to clean the impeller, so it's just a matter of time.

After you get it all set up, report back on how you like it!

--Colin
Zexston

Post by Zexston »

mmmmm....noooooodles!

Sure will report. Just ordered the RA, cables, and RW pump heads. We shall see if they get to CT by the weekend.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Where did you order the pump heads from?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

There is code we can give you that will keep the return pump off when you get into that situation.

I had the same problem with the low sensor which would turn off my return pump causing the dt to drain back to sump, causing it to turn back on, rinse and repeat. It's a pretty minor thing that we do instead of turning Off the pump, we MaskOff the pump (meaning it get's an override added to it). That doesn't clear unless you manually do something :)

I do it for my return pump, and my skimmer as well. We'll hook you up with all the code you need when you're at that point.
Zexston

Post by Zexston »

Fish-Street.com $55 for head only. I have power supplies already, so just need the heads since no need for RW controller.

http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_rw_upg ... tring=rw-8
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Nice. I didn't know FS sold them separately. I've ordered from them before and always been pleased.

--Colin