LCD all white

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
bigHUN

LCD all white

Post by bigHUN »

I have the RA and the RA+ controller from very first days, I could never make it run in some advanced mode but it was maintaining the basic+ functions OK for two years. And I never got back here to follow some new tricks.
Today morning I have noticed the white screen, power restart the system several times but could not keep the main screen longer then several seconds all sink back to blank white. Toke out the LCD and battery, reinsert, the screen was longer for several minutes and again back to all white.
Email to Roberto, and - no it didn't got a water splash, I am hanging it above tank level.
Connect my old laptop to the controller, I could sync the time, once, reload the old well known program (was running since 2012) just to make sure the memory got into a loop, once.
After several minutes I have noticed a tik-tak sound from relay, the LCD followed that rhytam and swaping between black and white with a status red LED blinking same steps....
Lost a communication with the controller, I see the temp is sinking, can't see the LCD screen and can't over ride from laptop, I believe I will have lot of excitements next several weeks until I figure my next step.

Shall I believe the controller+ got to end of its life? Could not even order a new board (from California to Ontario) because the online Sale is closed to next week, probably away on vacation?

Anything I could troubleshoot or eventually debug, with a good guidance? I am not a programmer and not electrical literate...I am a mechanical inclined...
rimai

Re: LCD all white

Post by rimai »

Try using the head unit by itself and the usb power cable. No svga, no relay box and no probes.
What happens?
Roberto.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

I unplugged the ph/temp probes (still the power from relay is plugged in) same thing happening.
The red LED and the LCD exchanging one is on the other is off, cycling every second....after some 8-10 times stops at the white blank screen.
I didn't know I can hook up the head unit (without a power from relay) with a USB cable to PC/laptop and draw the power from there,
I will try when back home again in an hour or two.
8.50 am the LED lights shall start ramping up, for now I see heaters OFF (temp 20 C), lights OFF, ATO ON (enough water in sump), regardless of the time they shall be driven by the timer/probes ....

Anybody have a spare board can share with me quickly until the RA sales/support back to the game?
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

I connect the RA+ controller to a laptop with a USB cable, no red LED and not communicating....tried uploading anything just errors.

Important question:
How can I get my LED lights ON? I have the RA Analogue Dimming Expansion module, what and how to make it work?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Is the screen working with just the head unit connected to the computer?
Roberto.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

no, doesn'nt work, also how to make the dimming module work for the lights?
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

I removed the RA+ board and put back the original-old RA board,
connected normally to a relay box (relay box empty now, all my pumps/heaters running on extension power cables), power up, got a screen and the old interface...
connected the RA to a PC with USB, with a RAClient I could read time, temp and ph

Any possibility I could run the analog expansion module at least temporary on old RA controller? If I order now the new RA+ board no chance I can get it next 10-14 or so days, I need to keep the corals alive....
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

I remember barely that with jump from RA to RA+ the libraries got updated as well....
how can I initiate the old RA controller to old libraries? and would the wizard work at all with those?
trying to figure the way to make the analog dim work for my LED's
rimai

Post by rimai »

The signal conversion actually happens on the relay box. So, whatever head unit you use will not affect the signal you have.
Your best bet is to use your standard RA with a basic code.
Roberto.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

I have ordered the new board but not expecting to arrive sooner then 10+ days
in mean time I have to save my corals somehow...
I tried to load my existing RA+ known working program into RA board - no go, error at upload....now I have to learn these things again with no time on my table? This is no bueno !!!
rimai

Post by rimai »

Did you make sure to set the correct board and serial port?
What is the error you are getting?
Roberto.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

No, I don't have time and patience right now to play with the thing I have no electronics/programming knowledge about...
When the new board comes in I will get back to you....
This arduino hardware/programming may be a great hobby for many of you gurus but I have only very basic knowledge and a single time for it to connect the things together, without a first hand tutoring or very detailed instructions I may be better not start messing with....
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

When you get the new board, use the Wizard to set it up. Then post here and we can help you with anything the wizard doesn't address.

The wizard is great. You don't have to be a programmer to use it.

--Colin
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

Got the new RA+ board, load it with my old code, let it run overnight.
Question to you:
I didn't knew what that means "power up with USB cable" until I got the cable never saw it before, perhaps back in 2012 wasn't available...
I could power up now my old RA+ board and load codes with USB-TTL and had no errors, but this board was making me problems 3 weeks ago and that was a reason I have ordered a new board...
Now I have one old RA and two RA+ boards....what you people usually do with extra?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You can test and debug things. You could run without a case and monitor another tank ph/temp. Quite a bit.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

Can you tell me please how to test this my board in question? Because of weird behaving I had to order a new board, but just sitting 2 weeks I've tried to load a code last nite all went good. I would like to test it if any good...step by step for a non programmer? thx
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Not really for testing the board but testing some code and seeing the results.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

thanks,
powered up the questionable board for playing and learning curve