PWM dimming module ver2.1

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
bigHUN

PWM dimming module ver2.1

Post by bigHUN »

I am running now a cat5 cable from the expansion module to my DIY LED fixture what I was remodeling a bit these days.
It didn't look best with all those wires in a mess, and I had a separate cable just to power the fans, now I toke that powercable out.
It look to me the PWM expansion module can't give enough amps because the fans won't move...
Wondering how that could be possible to pull the power for these 2 PC fans's from the PWM module (the powering the PWM is 12V 1A).
bigHUN

Re: PWM dimming module ver2.1

Post by bigHUN »

From six available channels first four using for dimming daylights, one for moonlight and one wire remaining in a cat5 cable I would like to use for powering the fans if I could get enough juice out from the expansion module...
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You won't be able to power the fans from the PWM module. It doesn't put out enough current. If the fans have a PWM input you can use it to control the speed, but you'd still need a separate power cable.

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The PWM signal is like 35mA I believe. Defintely not enough to power a 1A fan let alone 2.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

Any port I can reuse either from main board or relay box to power max 1Amps the two small PC fans?
Not really liking the idea I need to pull a separate power cable + any 5-10 V power adapter back to the LED fixture....
rimai

Post by rimai »

I wouldn't run power wires through CAT5 myself. They are really thin.
But you could use one pair for your 12v to feed power to your fans
Roberto.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

I have 2 spare-extra wires in the bundle but ...can I steel somewhere within the RA units that low voltage feed for fans? so don't need an extra power adapter...
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

dimming expansion module,
any chance to refresh, doesn't seem to me update as per the main board clock....
the LCD shows 10 or 5 or whatever low but the LED's are on most likely full bright
I power restart the system and then, then the LED's lit up to dim low
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

I forgot to say this earlier, until I was waiting for my RA+ replacement board I needed to run my LED's with MeanWell 60-40D, so I ordered a manual dimmer from rapidled. I built a manual overdrive for my LED fixture for next time something goes wrong again with the controller.
And, Yes, the MeanWell drivers can go dark with 0 Volt imput when I turn the potentiometer's down to zero,
Why then wont go dark with the expansion module? in my program I have timing and dimming starting up and down back to zero but I can measure voltage all time on the expansion module...?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Looking at the code you posted in another thread, your PWMParabola never goes to zero:

Code: Select all

ReefAngel.PWM.SetChannel( 4, PWMParabola(18,35,24,5,40,100,40) );
The last number, which is 40 in your case, is what the lights will stay at when not in the photo period.
Make sure to set that setting to 0.
Roberto.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

In this code yes it may have some numbers as you sad 40, but I have tried zeros.
In the morning the dimming can start from zero=or very low dim but at evening when the dimming goes down towards zero the display shows the lowest value but the LED's are still up on some higher level not on low dim....I power restarted the system and when the lights come ON will dim low. This means for some reason the communication between the bard and expansion module and LED drivers keeping some buffer current driving the LED's higher then the slope value.
Last weeks do to my RA+ board failure I had to built in couple manual ON/ON switches to overdrive manually, and when I turned the potentiometers down to zero I was able to completelly turn down the LED's to OFF.