Controller resetting date / time

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
binder

Controller resetting date / time

Post by binder »

I've got my RA Plus that has been functioning great for a year or two (I forget actually). About a month ago, I noticed that my lights were not on during the day when they were supposed to be. I have them set with a dimming schedule, nothing fancy. I checked the date on the controller and it was reading 7/10/40. I have reset it back to the correct date and time but it keeps jumping back to that date. Each day it resets itself back to that date. The time also changes as well. I'm not exactly sure at what time during the day it resets itself, but I know it does. My lights are only on for maybe an hour or 2 a day now because of the schedule.
I'm not positive as to what the reason is for this. I'm guessing maybe the internal battery backup or the RTC has failed. I don't believe the controller resets at all. The ports are all working on the relay box (just have 1 relay box). I've got a usb expansion hub with the water level and salinity probe connected to it. Water level is not hooked up currently and the salinity probe failed sometime in the last 2 months. I've got a backup probe that I just have not replaced yet. I keep forgetting to change it because my tank and controller are at my office which is an hour away from me. Also, in my area, we have had some very cold, icy and snowy days over the last couple weeks.
No bus locks or any alert / status flags are being reported. I can communicate with the controller. It's just the date and time that keeps getting reset. I'm pretty sure I have another Plus in a box that I can get out but I'm not positive. I know I have a couple standard RA's that can be used.
No visible water damage or salt creep on any of the components. It's mounted on a piece of wood to the back of my stand right next to all of the hardware. In fact, the controller is screwed into the wood from the inside of the case....so it cannot fall down unless I take it apart specifically to prevent damage. 8-)
Any suggestions? Does the controller need to be RMA'd? Is there anything that I may be able to test or swap out on it that could fix it? I'm game to try anything with it (as most of you should know).
rimai

Re: Controller resetting date / time

Post by rimai »

Time is sync'ed with the RTC every 6 hours.

Code: Select all

setSyncInterval(SECS_PER_HOUR*6);  // Changed to sync every 6 hours.
I've seen date/time get messed up when there is a bus lock issue. Can you disconnect the expansion hub and modules to confirm?
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Time is sync'ed with the RTC every 6 hours.

I've seen date/time get messed up when there is a bus lock issue. Can you disconnect the expansion hub and modules to confirm?
I will unplug them and reset / power cycle the controller when I get to the office tomorrow and see how that does and report back.
I can say that I just refreshed the status on my app and it does not show a bus lock. Also, I know I have unplugged the hub and modules a week or two ago and then plugged them back in to check but still nothing.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I had a loose battery terminal once and that was causing the time to reset occassionally.
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:I had a loose battery terminal once and that was causing the time to reset occassionally.
that's interesting and good to know. i will check for that as well but i doubt it is the case seeing how the controller has not moved or been touched for a while. :)
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Time is sync'ed with the RTC every 6 hours.

ok, i have an update. yesterday I disconnected the expansion modules and power cycled the controller and then set the time. i watched the time and it has not reset at all. the time has been consistent and doing good. so, that tells me that an expansion module is causing the problem. now i need to start plugging each module back in to see what triggers it. can the expansion hub cause the problem or just the modules or all of them cause the problem?

i plan on just connecting one device at a time until the problem occurs. i will start with the expansion hub, then the salinity module and lastly the water level. any other alternate options suggested?

lastly, could a bad salinity probe cause this problem? I wouldn't think it would but I just thought I'd ask anyways.

Sent from my iPad mini
rimai

Post by rimai »

Not the probe.
It is one of the connected modules in the expansion bus.
It could also be loose connection or rust in the port. Check for any water damage in the ports of the hub or modules.
Also, try a different port in the hub.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Not the probe.
It is one of the connected modules in the expansion bus.
It could also be loose connection or rust in the port. Check for any water damage in the ports of the hub or modules.
Also, try a different port in the hub.
ok. yeah I didn't think it was the probe but i thought i would still double check.

i will inspect the modules and ports to see if anything is noticed.

Sent from my iPad mini
binder

Post by binder »

i finally had a chance to dive into the changes.
i looked at the modules and the usb connections. all connections appeared normal and looked fine externally. i did not open anything up to look inside though. i plugged the salinity module into a different port and it has been working fine for a couple days now. i have not plugged the water level module back in yet but will do that on monday.

it is looking like one or two ports on the expansion hub went bad for whatever reason. so my problem has been fixed for now and will know more about the additional expansion on monday.

thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad mini
binder

Post by binder »

more details...i plugged in my water level module and it caused the problem again. i tried to plug it into a different port but was unable to plug it into a few ports due to a very tight fit. so i plugged it back into the same port and it caused my problem. it did not affect the salinity module readings though, just reset the date and time.

so, my assumptions currently are that it is the water level module causing the problem and/or it is the port on the expansion module that is causing the problems.

more testing is needed though to determine it.

Sent from my iPad mini