Float switch malfunction?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
paperdesk

Float switch malfunction?

Post by paperdesk »

For some reason my ATO system quit working recently. I'm using the standard ato setup and float switch that came with the RA. I changed float switches and it started working again, then it stopped again. I have a multimeter, is there a way to test the float switch? Doesn't seem likely that two switches would go bad back to back. If it's not the switch, what could it be?

Codes is ReefAngel.StandardATO( Port7,600 );

Thanks!

Ted
rimai

Re: Float switch malfunction?

Post by rimai »

Use the controllertester code to check the ato ports.
Roberto.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Is this the result I'm looking for?

# | 100% 12.42s

Ted
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

I tested both float switches with a multimeter and didn't see any change in continuity when the float was up vs down. Not sure how it works though, so maybe this is normal. Of course I tested them when they were unplugged.

Ted
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Sounds like a bad switch. If you connect the ends of the multimeter and you see conductivity then your test was valid and switch was bad
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

I think what happened was my float switch went bad and instead of replacing it with the spare I put the bad one back in by mistake.

I'm going to order a new float switch, they're just a few dollars with free shipping on Amazon, but I noticed that the ones in the Reefangel store looks different from what I have. Anyone know if there are several types? The ones I got have yellow leads. I'm hoping to find something with a smaller diameter than the ones I have so I can use it as a skimmer overflow safety. I tried with mine but it didn't fit inside properly.
rimai

Post by rimai »

The ones with yellow leads is what we have been using for a long time.
The one in the webstore is an old photo of the very first float we used in the past a long time ago that didn't have the connectors. If you look closely in to the photo, you will notice it doesn't had the connector.
We changed suppliers since that photo to the ones with yellow leads and that's the only one we offer at the moment.
Roberto.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Thanks! Looks like I need to place an order!