Heater Port: "On" or "Auto"?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
rrasco

Heater Port: "On" or "Auto"?

Post by rrasco »

It doesn't seem like my heater port runs on Auto while in the temp range it's configured to, so I'm assuming this needs to be set to On? I am using internal memory if that matters.

Also, should the heater port turn off on overheat events? It technically shouldn't be on if the overheat temp is higher than the heater's off value, but extra insurance?
-You had me at PWM
cosmith71

Re: Heater Port: "On" or "Auto"?

Post by cosmith71 »

"On" is on. Like all the time on. You don't want that.

Is the temperature out of range? What values are you using?

Overheat is more for doing things like turning off lights. The heater should already be off, unless your configuration is wrong. It doesn't hurt to include it in the overheat settings as added protection.

--Colin
binder

Post by binder »

with the heater temp ranges, the port does not turn on until the temp falls below the low temp. then it stays on until the temp gets above the high temp.

so you are probably experiencing this.

Sent from my iPad mini
binder

Post by binder »

rrasco wrote:
Also, should the heater port turn off on overheat events? It technically shouldn't be on if the overheat temp is higher than the heater's off value, but extra insurance?
yes, this is a smart idea. it will force the port off regardless of what state it is in. it is like extra insurance.

Sent from my iPad mini
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

I have it set to turn on at 79.2* and off at 81.2*. Current tank temp is 82*. I had the outlet set to "On", just switched it to "Auto" and it turned grey. I'm taking that as progress, because previously it would turn red. So now in theory, once the tank temp goes down to 79.2 it should turn on.

If the heater is "off" (in auto) should the green light be showing on my signature banner?
-You had me at PWM
binder

Post by binder »

rrasco wrote:I have it set to turn on at 79.2* and off at 81.2*. Current tank temp is 82*. I had the outlet set to "On", just switched it to "Auto" and it turned grey. I'm taking that as progress, because previously it would turn red. So now in theory, once the tank temp goes down to 79.2 it should turn on.

If the heater is "off" (in auto) should the green light be showing on my signature banner?
yes, your in theory comment is correct.

ok. with it being set to auto, the port turns on and off based on the programming logic.

the port will show green when it is on and red when it is off (or at least it should depending on the banner you use). now the portal only gets updated every 5 or 15 minutes (i do not recall exactly off hand). so the data in your banner may not match your controller depending on when it updated last.

if you are concerned about exact timing, i would use one of the smart phone apps or the live portal to query the data from your controller....so the data is up to date instead of just relying on the banner.

Sent from my iPad mini