Very frustrated with ReefAngel

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
timmcq

Very frustrated with ReefAngel

Post by timmcq »

Roberto,

After returning my unit due to a head unit connection issue - and buying a new controller board - I am having similar problems.

Now my daylights do not come on. In troubleshooting, I see that by jiggling the cable connecting the head unit, the lights do flicker and I can position it so that they come on - as long as I don't want all functions working at the same time.

Since this unit was "fixed" I layed it on a table next to the tank, so there is no stress on the connection. There is no good reason why this would break again so soon. I am forced to use timers for my daylights - why have a controller?

Additionally, the toggle switch continues to stick as I had mentioned. I tried to grease, to no avail. This only started happening once you replaced the controller board. My original toggle switch worked fine.

Its very disappointing because I have suggested to many in my club and at frag swaps that ReefAngel is a great product.

Very Disappointed and I am not buying another board.

Tim
cosmith71

Re: Very frustrated with ReefAngel

Post by cosmith71 »

Hi Tim,

I'm sure Roberto will chime in, but it sounds like the plug coming from the lights may be flakey. Make sure the pins are pushed into the plug all the way.

As for the joystick, try loosening the screws on the back of the head unit by a tiny bit. If they are too tight they can bind the joystick.
rimai

Post by rimai »

What was the problem originally when you sent the head unit back?
If both boards are presenting the same problem, that looks like the problem is not the head unit but the cable you mentioned you have to mess with.
Have you tried taking that cable and swapping sides between head unit and relay box?
Does the joystick also stick when the enclosure is opened?
Roberto.
timmcq

Post by timmcq »

Roberto,

Please view my post titled "Connection issue with Head Unit and Comm Cable" from about 9-10 months ago. I tried different cables - same issue. The joystick sticks even without the cover in place.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That sounds like a bad connection somewhere.
If you already replaced the cable and the head unit, logic tells that there is one thing in common that hasn't been looked at yet. The relay box.
If you prefer sending the entire unit for me to look at it, I'll be glad to inspect and repair/replace what needs work.
Roberto.