Need help

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
morn623

Re: Need help

Post by morn623 »

With very close lit inspection, I see can see what appears to be a very tiny spot of rust on the internal, but exterior part of the mini-USB port. The pins and everything else look clean however. I have pictures if needed. I got this expansion along with the relay box used May of 2014. The board inside the expansion says dimming expansion 1.2. I also inspected the cord and saw nothing. I even tried switching cords. I did a close lit inspection of the USB port on the relay box and saw nothing. I also have pictures of that if needed.
morn623

Post by morn623 »

I thought I had narrowed down the issue to the dimming expansion module as the problems only occurred while the dimming expansion module was connected, however, after purchasing a new dimming expansion module I experienced the same problems. Next, I am going to replace the only item I have yet to replace the relay box and see if that corrects the issue.
morn623

Post by morn623 »

I've also now tried swapping out the relay box and that didn't help. Any suggestions, or should I just scrap the RA and figure something else out?
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Have you tried using a different USB cable?

You may also want to try a different serial cable (from the RA to the relay box).

This one is tricky because it needs to be a serial cable that has all 15 pins wired. A lot of the ones for older computers have 2 connections not wired and the RA does not work.
morn623

Post by morn623 »

I have tried a different USB cable. It didn't help. It's a pretty new communication cable, but perhaps I'll try to find another of those.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I'm just tossing out ideas and everything that I tried when trouble shooting my issue with Roberto.
morn623

Post by morn623 »

Any help is appreciated. I'm pretty frustrated that I have to connect and disconnect the LEDs to get them on and reset the controller every morning.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

What kind of lights? How many drivers per dimming channel? I'm wondering if the dimming module might be overloaded, or something is going on in the lights that may be causing an issue. Everything else has been replaced.

Communications cable still could be suspect. This is the one I used. Get one only as long as you need. Less possible interference that way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CID ... UTF8&psc=1

--Colin
morn623

Post by morn623 »

I have a DIY LED setup with 6 channels each with an ELN-60-48P driver. Last night I disconnect each channel and was able to narrow the problem down to two drivers (as they share the same common). I then tested each individual driver by plugging them in one at a time and narrowed it down to one that is causing the issue. Next I plan to redo all the connections. If that doesn't work I'll probably just end up replacing the driver.
morn623

Post by morn623 »

Today, I received and replaced the driver I suspected of being the issue. It just so turns out that was what was causing the issue. Interestingly enough, it appears the Reef Angel caught the issue before it turned into anything more serious. Opening the driver box, I could tell it smelled weird, had an abnormal browning on the inside, and had some sort of condensation as well. I think everything is up and running now, better than ever. Thanks for everyone's help and thanks for working with me Roberto!
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Awesome! Glad you figured it out!

--Colin