Suggestions for new system, help a new guy out!

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
CBRpilot

Suggestions for new system, help a new guy out!

Post by CBRpilot »

Hello all,

This will be my first venture into a controller. I have a 150 gallon long with 75 gallon sump. It has 3 D120 Chinese led lights and the normal skimmer, hydor ATO and wave control with 4 hydor wave makers.

I would like to see the status of my system via my iPhone while I'm not a home and automate most of my functions (move from timers). In the long run I would like to control the lights as well.

What system and what modules would I need?

The Hanks for the help!

Dale
lnevo

Re: Suggestions for new system, help a new guy out!

Post by lnevo »

dimming module so you can modify and control the 3 D120. 2 relay boxes. You want the hydor's on ports 5+6 on each. The ATO you'll want to be able to bypass if a float switch is triggered. I think to start that's all you need and the wifi. You'll be able to do a ton with just that and can move on to other things when you decide to expand.
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

lnevo wrote:dimming module so you can modify and control the 3 D120. 2 relay boxes. You want the hydor's on ports 5+6 on each. The ATO you'll want to be able to bypass if a float switch is triggered. I think to start that's all you need and the wifi. You'll be able to do a ton with just that and can move on to other things when you decide to expand.
that's what I was looking for! I didn't account for the 2 relay boxes, but I will get a second one added to the list.

thanks for the help!
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You'll need an Expansion Hub as well.

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yes, I did not think of that cause I was only thinking about relay boxes, but yes to do dimming+2nd relay you'll need the hub.

You *could* get away with one relay box, but 6 plugs for the lights and 4 for the wavemakers is 10 right there...with nothing added. It would definitely make things easier having the 2nd.
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

ok, here's the plan:
reef angel, salinity mod, wifi to start with. I will keep my LEDs on timers. I plan on putting 2 powerheads on ports 5&6 and ATO and Smartwave on 7&8. I will have #1-return pump, #2 skimmer, #3- 2 part doser and #4 fuge light.

this , in my mind, would get me started and "used" to the reef angel. after learning the system I will upgrade to the following: dimming mod, relay and expansion hub.

does this plan work? I figured it way the best way forward and it's much easier to say "honey, I spent $600 on a controller" than "honey, I spent $1000 on a controller" lol

thanks for all the help!
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

How are you going to run a 2 part doser on one port? Wouldn't you need 2 dosers and 2 ports?

--Colin
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

cosmith71 wrote:How are you going to run a 2 part doser on one port? Wouldn't you need 2 dosers and 2 ports?

--Colin
good catch...i'll keep the fuge light on a timer and use that port. I'm just spitballing until the system gets here.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

No problem. I'm an expert at nitpicking other peoples ideas. :mrgreen:

If it were me, I'd probably just skip the smartwave and plug all 4 pumps into ports 5 and 6. Either that, or leave them all plugged into the Smartwave and plug it into one port. I'd also consider just plugging the skimmer into a power strip, unless you particularly need to shut it off. The ATO can go into a power strip as well, unless you want to add a backup float switch as extra protection (might as well if you have a spare port).

So:

1: Return Pump
2: Fuge Light
3: Dosing Pump
4: Dosing Pump
5: SmartWave
6: ATO
7: Free, or Skimmer
8: Free

As for the lights, can you use the 2 dimming channels built into the RA? I'm not familiar with those lights.

--Colin
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

colin-

I'm not sure on the lights. I have read the "hacks" for them, but I'm not too worried about getting them controlled at this point. what I'm trying to achieve is: 1- be able to look at my system when traveling (2-4 days a week) 2- automate feeding for the same reason 3- keep my most recent flood from happening again (he wife was feeding and has an issue spilling 1/2 gallon of water inside the stand).

I'm sure as time progresses I will find many new uses for the unit. and I'm very impressed with this forum and the people that are willing to help!

the new idea:
1: Return Pump
2: skimmer
3: white lights
4: blue lights
5: heater
6: smartwave
7: ATO
8: fuge light

now the reasoning: the 2 part is to help stop adding lime to ATO water, but I would rather get the controller installed before this upgrade. I'm thinking 1 "upgrade" or change at a time, you know the saying "nothing good happens fast in a reef tank". i'll start 2 part when I get my 2nd relay and expansion module in the mail (maybe a couple of weeks)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

That works. I recommend checking the Chinese Blackbox LED Proof Group on Facebook. There are some great resources in the Files section for these lights and good detail on how to do the mod for controlability. Just using the timers is fine for starting.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Ah, I forgot the heater! Probably the most important use for a controller, IMHO. Do you use any sort of cooling fan?

What I do for feeding is I use an Eiheim auto feeder (built in timer) and then set the RA to go into feeding mode at the same time to shut off my return pump so the food doesn't go down the overflows.

I completely understand on the dosing pumps. That will take a lot of time and testing to get them dialed in.

The portal supports a webcam feed, too. :D

--Colin
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

lnevo wrote:That works. I recommend checking the Chinese Blackbox LED Proof Group on Facebook. There are some great resources in the Files section for these lights and good detail on how to do the mod for controlability. Just using the timers is fine for starting.
I'm a member of that facebook page, real good info there! I believe I should start with small steps, less of a chance of me jacking something all up.
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

cosmith71 wrote:Ah, I forgot the heater! Probably the most important use for a controller, IMHO. Do you use any sort of cooling fan?

What I do for feeding is I use an Eiheim auto feeder (built in timer) and then set the RA to go into feeding mode at the same time to shut off my return pump so the food doesn't go down the overflows.

I completely understand on the dosing pumps. That will take a lot of time and testing to get them dialed in.

The portal supports a webcam feed, too. :D

--Colin
that's the same thing I'm planning on doing with my auto feeder, although its a cheaper one.

I like the idea of a webcam...I can see who's fooling with my tank! :lol: