can you store memory both in code and on head unit?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
skehole

can you store memory both in code and on head unit?

Post by skehole »

Is there a way to save memory in the code, yet save certain parts of the code in the controller so you can adjust heaters or dosers in the portal?

Does that make sense, lol?

Does it have to be all one or the other?
binder

Re: can you store memory both in code and on head unit?

Post by binder »

i dont follow.
what are you wanting to save in memory? are you wanting to hardcode some of the functions and not others? like say you wanted to hard code the on and off times for your lights but use memory for your heaters and chillers?
if that is the case, then yes you can do that. it is not an all or nothing with using memory or hard coded. you can use any of the functions that are available.

Sent from my iPad mini
skehole

Post by skehole »

binder wrote:i dont follow.
what are you wanting to save in memory? are you wanting to hardcode some of the functions and not others? like say you wanted to hard code the on and off times for your lights but use memory for your heaters and chillers?
if that is the case, then yes you can do that. it is not an all or nothing with using memory or hard coded. you can use any of the functions that are available.

Sent from my iPad mini
Yea essentially. Specifically, if at some point I wanted to be able to use the app features of adjusting temperature or changing my carbon dose on the fly, not that I really would, but just curious if that was possible.

I tried the wizard for hard coding and got a bit lost for some reason.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

All the portal does is push values into memory locations when you make changes. You can choose to read those memory locations in your code, or use hard coded values and ignore those memory locations.

As an example of changing back and forth while the code is running, I have code in my loop that tells mine to ignore the hard coded dcpump mode configured for that time of day and instead use the one I just put in the custom variable location 1.

Point is, it is very flexible. Post up an example of what you are trying to do and someone can give a snippet for how to do it.
skehole

Post by skehole »

Awesome. Thanks for the info fellas. Nothing I really need to do immediately. The only doser the RA controls is my carbon source and I don't mess with temps at all. Also, lighting is an ATI dimable sunpower - so not much RA driven equipment.
binder

Post by binder »

cool.

yeah, like alan said, when you have questions or are stuck on how to do something, just ask the question and post your code. im sure it's probably been done before or could be figured out.

Sent from my iPad mini
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

skehole wrote:so not much RA driven equipment.
yet.
skehole

Post by skehole »

lnevo wrote:
skehole wrote:so not much RA driven equipment.
yet.
Probably right there. None of my equipment was bought with a controller in mind. Gives me more freedom next time something craps out.