Reef Angel leaking voltage?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
abavery

Reef Angel leaking voltage?

Post by abavery »

I have kind of a unique setup, but I'll try to explain as well as is possible.

I have a battery backup plugged into the wall. Plugged into that battery backup are 2 things. The LEDs for the tank, and the Reef Angel Controller. Late last week I touched the water with some metal tweezers to move something in the refugium, and my elbow to my hand tingled a little. I though it was odd, but I figured I may have bumped my funny bone on the tank so I ignored it. I did a quick search and it turns out voltage leaking is a real thing, so I broke out the multimeter a day later and sure enough the tank read 100 volts. Not good. So I went around unplugging things until I found a powerhead that seemed to do the trick. Voltage was down to 3 volts with that unplugged. So I figured all was well.

Fast forward to today. I got the multimeter out just to test and be 100% sure before I interacted with the tank. I got a reading of 33-34 volts! The suspect powerhead is physically unplugged until I can get into the tank to remove it next weekend, so what gives?

So here is the troubleshooting I did:
  • Pressed the power button on the battery backup, voltage tested = 0 volts
  • Physically unplugged the LEDs = 33 volts
  • Physically unplugged the Reef Angel = 0 volts
  • Individually unplugged and tested all 6 items being controlled, 33 volts each time
After that the only things touching an outlet and touching the water are the temperature and PH probes, do those even deal with 33 volts? If so is it safe to unplug each of those to test the water while the Reef Angel is still on?

Thanks for any help
Piper

Re: Reef Angel leaking voltage?

Post by Piper »

You don't have a circulation pump or skimmer pump on this tank? The probes are all 5v. Not sure where you'd be getting 33 volts if everything else is indeed unplugged.

What happens when you unplug and/or remove the probes?

~Charlie
abavery

Post by abavery »

I don't have a sump. Everything is on or in the tank. There are 2 powerheads, a skimmer pump, a heater, a HOB filter refugium, and the refugium light plugged into the Reef Angel. I unplugged each of those things individually and tested the voltage in the tank and it was still 33 each time. (Sometimes fluctuating by 1-2 volts)

I haven't messed with the probes yet. Is it safe to unplug the PH probe or will I lose my calibration?

Thanks
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You won't loose your calibration if you unplug the pH probe. However, usually the pH probe provides the return path for any leaking voltage.

What is your pH reading? The pH probe will read very low in the presence of stray voltage.