setting up a new laptop?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
psyrob

setting up a new laptop?

Post by psyrob »

Not sure which forum to post this in, but here goes....Got a new laptop for Christmas and I have the Client working through the wifi attachment Santa brought as well...I want to use this new laptop to upload code rather than the old desktop I have been using....Do I go through a set up like when I first hooked up my Reefangel Controller, plugging it into my laptop with the USB cable? Or some other procedure?

Thanks
binder

Re: setting up a new laptop?

Post by binder »

Best suggestion is to use the same procedure. The "simple" version would be to simply install the ReefAngel Controller software and plug in the USB adapter when prompted. Once that's done, then you should be good to go.

One note of caution, make sure you STOP the client suite service first otherwise you may have some problems with the computer detecting the controller. Now that I'm writing this, I don't think you will have any problems with it running because you are using the WIFI interface to connect to the controller. However, to be on the "safe" side, I would suggest doing that (can't hurt because your controller will be unavailable to the Client Suite temporarily anyways :) ).
psyrob

Post by psyrob »

Curt: I set up the controller software, no problems...but I can't RAGEN to install...I download the installer and each time I run it, I get the immediate error "error opening file for writing: RAgen.exe" What am I doing wrong?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Did you try saving to desktop and then right-click and choosing "Run as administrator" ?
Roberto.
psyrob

Post by psyrob »

that got it loaded, but now I can't run it...I double click the shortcut, it doesn't run...the folder looks full, I double clicked the exe file too, but it isn't opening...
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think you are getting some permission problems when installing RAGen which caused it to get some settings screwed up.
Try this then:
1. Download the static version:
https://github.com/downloads/curtbinder ... static.zip
2. Try running is as administrator
3. Make sure to go to menu Edit->Settings
4. Set the path of the folders to the following:
Sketch: Documents\Arduino
Libraries: Documents\Arduino\libraries
Arduino: C:\Program Files\Reef Angel Controller
5. Click Ok.

I hope this works now.
Roberto.
psyrob

Post by psyrob »

Your the man Roberto...that worked...all is good...
binder

Post by binder »

Glad you got things figured out. I was a little slow at responding due to my busy work schedule.