first time ? need help with this

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
bigHUN

first time ? need help with this

Post by bigHUN »

so, got it, unpack it, downloaded the two latest installers, and stuck offcourse after re-installing several times, can I get some help please: seem to me can't power up?
1. RAinstaller.exe, installed the ports (currently got to com9), asking to connect the cable and "make sure the controller is powered up before proceeding" ?? powered up how? assume it gets the "power" through USB, so I connected the cable as it is asking on the picture from that installation screen...the DOS prompt pops up, but ends up with a message can't find the ports....
so, I got to check and changed the Tools/Board/ to "Reef Angel Controller, checked again the Com9, no change the RA controller green LED won't come up.
2. installed the RAGen-v110v08519, checked the RA Generator under PDE tab doesn't have the Com9 listed?
Now the question: I don't remember seeing anywhere any power adapter for the controller, so must be some tweaking with USB to make that green light on?
wondering where I've missed the point?
Sebyte

Re: first time ? need help with this

Post by Sebyte »

The controller head unit gets its supply from the relay box via the D plug cable. Hope that helps.
binder

Post by binder »

Like Sebyte said, the power cable plugs into the Relay box and there is the cable that plugs into the controller from the relay box. So powering up your controller is simply connecting the cable to the controller while the power cable is plugged into the relay box.

The COM9 you speak of will not be visible inside RAGen. That COM port is used with the Arduino software to communicate with your controller. Make sure you check out this topic for more information: http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

"The controller head unit gets its supply from the relay box via the D plug cable" this wasn't on the picture but anyway, I changed my mind and instead of laptop will go with one of my older PCs.
Doing it again, the first program RAInstaller still in installation, got the COM3 assigned for first time, the two boxes are connected (without sensors and switches, just want to do a dry run first on my desk) and both LED's (green and red) are on, after several seconds "No ports were found..."
Steve, where in Toronto you are in? this might help...me up in Aurora...
bigHUN

first time user ? we need better help with this

Post by bigHUN »

I got the controller on COM3 (RAGen), but the RA-Client can't see it, only retrying to connect?
I would like to monitor what is changing when I alter through the controller the supplied Demo.
I am reading the forum, for a first time user feel confused reading all the fragments there and back between posts, trying the sample codes but seem to me non is working-uploading???
seeing a great opportunity someone to collect a step by step tutorial/instructions on one place.
I don't have LED or hallides, neither chiller, the fahrenheit is confusing, also reading there many times need to upload the first code only once first time but just not working on my box at all...
I have way more complicated setup (5 float switches+8 pumps+4 lights and so on), shall start learning it asap adding up one by one the things...
how to make that RA Client connect?
rimai

Post by rimai »

The demo code won't communicate with the Client application.
You need to use a code that was generated by RAGen and make sure to check the wifi box on the features tab.
Roberto.
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

Roberto, I realized the mistake, the client is something else.
I need to learn programing with examples, any chance I could see in real time on screen what I was doing?
right now I didn't connect the float switches, no probes, nothing, just listening the relays. I could not load the first code (from tutorials) won't take it...this might because nothing is connected?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Does it give any error code?
You should be able to load codes even withtout the probes connected.
Roberto.
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

seeing a great opportunity someone to collect a step by step tutorial/instructions on one place.
That is what I am doing, and should have available soon. If you would like a preview then PM me and I will send you a copy.