Deepwater BLDC

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Kaisha

Deepwater BLDC

Post by Kaisha »

I was looking to pick up one of the Deepwater BLDC pumps for a return pump for my freshwater tank. I'd love to be able to control it from the RA controller, not just turn it on or off but have fine tuned control. There are posts and info about the Jebao and Waveline DC pumps, but I can't find any information on the Deepwater BLDCs. Does anyone have one and have any thoughts on the matter, or ideas if this can be done?
cosmith71

Re: Deepwater BLDC

Post by cosmith71 »

Try e-mailing the manufacturer to see what kind of control signal it takes. I didn't see any information on the website. Some of the reviews said that Apex integration was coming, so I bet there's a way.

--Colin
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

It should work as long as the pump has the same type of 3 prong waterproof connector that the Jebao pumps use.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Free ... 98351.html

I looked at some pages about the Deepwater pump, but could not find a clear image of the connector.
Kaisha

Post by Kaisha »

I tried e-mailing www . deepwateraquatics . com over a week ago but have yet to get a reply. The best view of the connectors I could find anywhere was in this video:
www . youtube . com/watch?v=l7vrkxtbga0
which shows a 3 and 4 pin connectors (not the usual dc barrel in and 3 prong out), so I'm not sure what to make of it.

*apparently I can't post links, I had to mangle them a bit to get them to post, you'll have to copy/paste
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

It's hard to tell, but I'm leaning towards saying it's not the same type of connection.

The Jeabo connection has a little block at the top between the two pins to make sure it goes in the correct direction.

I don't think I see it that block there.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Kaisha

Post by Kaisha »

So I got ahold of a guy at deepwater and asked for info about how the pump worked.

My question:
As I understand, from the manual for the pumps I found online and watching a few product videos for the BLDC15 from youtube (information on this pump is rather scarce online), is that there are 2 connectors going into the controller. There is a 3-pin one that connects the power supply to the controller, and a 4-pin one that connects the controller to the pump. Of the 3 pins that connect the power supply to the controller, 2 are the DC +/- lines, but what is the 3rd pin used for? Likewise from the 4-pin connector that connects the controller to the pump, if the BLDC is similar to the other DC pumps (Waveline, Jabeo) then 2 pins are used for the DC 24v +/- lines and a 3rd is used as a control signal (in the case of the Jabeo the signal is a 5v analog). So what is the 4th pin used for? Is the control signal analog or PWM? And last of all, is there anything else I should know?
Their response:
Hi Ryan, I asked them and they said that Controller is different that Waveline and Jabeo. Its signal is PWM, but has no signal connector. They said we have a 0-10V controller in production now though so we will hopefully have it soon.
Thanks again,
Chris
I'm not sure what to make of this. Any technically minded people want to speculate?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Not sure how it uses PWM with no signal connector. Maybe some of the engineer types can weigh in on that.

We can probably use the 0-10v controller when it comes out.

--Colin