question regarding RA and kessil a160we

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
oftheangels

question regarding RA and kessil a160we

Post by oftheangels »

I'm considering a160we and RA setup for my 46 bow front. I'm considering 2 a160we and was wondering how the wiring for this setup will work? I know you can daisy chain two a160's together. So would I need a single cable from the RA to the first k160? If I set the connections this way can I control both the intensity and color of both lights? Or would I need to set each k160 (with two cables to the reef angel) to be able to control the intensity and color of both lights?

Any one have any advice? Also for my tank I'm wondering if I should use two 160's or one 360's?

FYI) I am also wanting to control top-off, heater on-off, skimmer on-off, return pump on-off, sump light on-off and a single wp10 power head (flow control) will I need an expansion?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

LeoD
rimai

Re: question regarding RA and kessil a160we

Post by rimai »

If you go RA cable and daisy chain the second, you can do this with the base RA system using the two dimming channels.
You can control intensity with one channel and color with the second channel.
Both kessils would change together.
If you want each kessil to be controlled independently, you will need the dimming expansion module and two RA cables.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

For the width tank you have I'd suggest two of the 160. You might get by with the 360 if mounted high enough.
titusmaul

Post by titusmaul »

I have two Kessil a360w's on my 105 and they are configured the way Roberto recommended. Interestingly with the 360 they will not actually come on until you set the intensity channel to 20%, at 19% they flicker so what I did i time mine so they lights power switches come on at a specific time and the initial intensity is set to 21% and then over the next 60 minutes I ramp to 100% same thing happens at the end of my light cycle.

I know this post is a little late to the game but I hope it helps.
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

Thanks for the reply,

I got the Kessil 160w'w (2 of them) installed and hooked up to my RA as well. I found out the hard way about the intensity issues. Interestingly mine seem to work at anything greater than 10%. How deep is your tank? How high above your water are your lights? Mine are a bit less than 12 inches above the water. Any higher and the light spreads out into the room. If I crank my Kessil's up to 100% my fish run into the rocks looking for sun glasses ;^)

-Leo
cjrudy

Post by cjrudy »

Waiting for my Kessil cable to get it set up with my RA. But one question, how do you set it up with a single power cord.The wizard sets up two by default, Actinic and Daylight? Don't want to have a second relay port going on and off each day that's not used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

I don't plug my kessil's into a relay port. I plug them into a power strip and let the dimming ports control the lights. Essentially they always have power.

-LeoD