Salinity Probe Unstable

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
fishflipper

Salinity Probe Unstable

Post by fishflipper »

Does anyone else have any issues with their salinity readings? I have never had accurate readings and have been using RA for about 7 months now. I first thought maybe my probe was bad so I bought a new one and get the same sporadic results. I couldn’t afford the probe Robert sells for the RA so I bought a cheaper one on Ebay. Could this cause the issues I am having? When I test my salt levels with my refractometer I am getting readings of 1.020-1.021. In the past week RA has been fluctuating between 16.2 and 27.5. I have read of people have stray voltage from a skimmer, return pumps etc., but that is not my issue. I have tried the probe in many different places in the tank with no change to the readings. I have calibrated the probe using pinpoint salinity calibration fluid. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be able to trust my readings. Because the salinity has never been right I sometimes doubt my ph readings. Thanks in advance!
rimai

Re: Salinity Probe Unstable

Post by rimai »

What happens when you place the probe in a cup of tank water and go through the calibration?
Roberto.
fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

Do you mean run the calibration and the put the probe in tank water? Or run the calibration in tank water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
rimai

Post by rimai »

I meant, place the probe inside a cup of tank water and then run the calibration.
Does it show stable 35ppt inside the cup?
Roberto.
fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

No, it bounces between 30.5 and 33.5.

fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

During calibration the ranges also bounce between 1800-2100

lnevo

Salinity Probe Unstable

Post by lnevo »

I see the same. I fee like there's a connectivity issue in the connector. It changes if I wiggle, but causes the same range though roughly.
fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

Is there a way to fix this? After calibrating again with tank water in a cup it is bouncing between 31.5 and 33.5.

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Do you notice any difference wiggling the connector like I did?
fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

No, it seems to bounce the same weather I wiggle it or not.

fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

Any ideas?

rimai

Post by rimai »

Send me a PM if you want me to look into the module/probe.
Roberto.
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

I threw my salinity probe away as it was never accurate. it almost caused a tank crash by decided it was need to add mixed saltwater instead of rodi water for top off. I always check the salinity weekly with a refractometer and it was nearing 42 instead of my stable 35

I was wondering why my corals were not opening for the week, tested everything but salinity. all was good. figured ohh well it happens. at the end of the week i checked the salinity and found it was extremely high. slowly dropped it back down over a course of a week, and took probe out and tossed it in the trash. thing was never accurate. I still have the module and may buy a new probe from someone... that is high grade. but after that episode i been to scared too.
Adam
58 Gal
fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

I am in the same boat here. I don't trust my refractometer either. I have calibrated it using a calibration solution and then tested the tank. It is saying it's low so I started to top off with saltwater. After a few days of that I didn't see too much change so I went to a big fish store me and had them test my refractometer and said it was reading low. They told me to calibrate using room water. Doing research on the Internet last night and most people say not to use or water and to use a refractometer. Ugh! I don't know what to do now and don't know who to trust.

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I ordered a new probe. Salinity took a dive last night. Lets see what happens..Image
Kungpaoshizi

Post by Kungpaoshizi »

how's this going? considering ordering the salinity probe expansion but after having my old apex salinity probe be consistently off, I'm convinced the tech is a lie!
Ok, maybe not totally, but it ticked me off about the apex.
I could see how the tech is false hope, unlike my gin, that's not false hope.. :)
fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

Still all over the place for me. I've been so busy with work lately that I haven't had time to send through email to Robert yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
ecam

Post by ecam »

Roberto. Did you change the probe ? I got a very bulky probe. Is this the new one ?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes.
Roberto.
fishflipper

Post by fishflipper »

what does it look like? does it work better?