Serious temperature issues

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
New2novas

Serious temperature issues

Post by New2novas »

The past couple days I was getting alerts for temp being 0, I would check and it would be ok shortly thereafter and finally today I got a bunch of emails and my temp is down to 68. It shows the heater being on and I have a few heaters for some redundancy so I know they haven't failed. I'm at work at the moment so I can't go further with the tank but how can we check to see if it is a software/sensor/outlet issue. I will start when I get home by verifying the outlet is turning on and off and the function of the heaters
cosmith71

Re: Serious temperature issues

Post by cosmith71 »

Check the sensor against another thermometer. It sounds like a bad sensor or a bad connection.
New2novas

Post by New2novas »

I have two sensors in there and both go to 0 for a little while, I get an alert and then it returns back to normal, it happens at the same time so sensor issue can most likely be ruled out
rimai

Post by rimai »

Most likely the temp probe sensor.
They use the same data bus, so it could happen that one may be interfering with the other.
Try running with just one and then just the other to find out which is the one misbehaving.
Roberto.
Frogman

Post by Frogman »

I would like to piggy back on this thread... I have a similar issue, except every temp probe I receive doesn't work. The temp probe that came with the RA+ works fine, I have tried to add another temp probe (Temp2) and I get one of two things.

1.) Just utilizing the temp probe that came with the RA+ I have 0 issues, the reading appear regardless of which pin set I plug the temp probe into, the ports all work fine and shut off/turn on with no apparent issues (other than I have to resolve a little short in port 1 but the RMA will take care of that for me.

2.) When I purchased an additional 10 ft. temp probe, things changed! The probe got real hot, my reading for pH went from 8.3 to 9.1, temp reading all went to 0. So I contacted the RMA and they sent me a new probe (2 actually, 1 short 1 long), when I plug them in, nothing happens at all! it doesn't matter what temp slot I plug into it wont work. If I disconnect the old one and only use the new ones, none of them work regardless of which slot I plug them into.

However, as soon as I plug in the old one, it works fine. <scratches head>

Are there different pin settings for the RA and the RA+? What are the odds I would get three bad temp probes in a row? Seems like the bus is bad or perhaps short has occurred in it as well? But what might cause this? I am tempted to send everything back to the RMA and have them investigate it... Suggestions? Ideas?

I'm at work, so I can take images and or videos later.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Did you reboot RA after you plug new probes?
New probes are only recognized at boot.
Roberto.
Frogman

Post by Frogman »

rimai wrote:Did you reboot RA after you plug new probes?
New probes are only recognized at boot.
Ok, :shock: now I feel COMPLETELY Retarded! :roll:

Yeah, rebooting the Wifi adapter doesn't help much... Maybe I am too dumb to own one of these :-P
rimai

Post by rimai »

Not the wifi attachment. You must reboot RA. Unplug from the wall and plug it back in.
Roberto.
Frogman

Post by Frogman »

rimai wrote:Not the wifi attachment. You must reboot RA. Unplug from the wall and plug it back in.
Yeah, that's what I was saying in the previous post. It worked. I just can't believe I missed such an elementary step. I feel uhm, moronic. Yeah that's a good word for it.

Thanks again! I appreciate the solution.