Can't access RA after Satellite modem upgrade.

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
waucedah_joe

Can't access RA after Satellite modem upgrade.

Post by waucedah_joe »

I recently upgraded my Hughes Net satellite modem and ever since I can't connect to my RA using the portal. Prior to the upgrade I only had read access to the RA but that was sufficient for remote monitoring and alarming. I can connect to the RA locally via my wireless router just not over the internet. I have configured port forwarding on the wireless router but that does not help. After reading Hughes Net help forums, it seems like the fact that I do not have a static IP might be a problem but you'd think it would work until the IP configured for the portal changes. Any thoughts? I can control my DVR and my thermostat via the internet (without port forwarding or a static IP), why not my RA?

Thanks
waucedah_joe

Re: Can't access RA after Satellite modem upgrade.

Post by waucedah_joe »

In that case...Anyone want to buy a used Reef Angel controller?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You shouldn't need a static IP. Are you using your external IP address? Not the one that starts with 192.

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Definitely sounds like your forwarding is not working properly. Theres a few sites that can help you troubleshoot. whatsmyip.org to get the ip and canyouseeme.org to see if port 2000 is open. We can get dynamic dns with the new libraries so dont worry about static ip
waucedah_joe

Post by waucedah_joe »

OK thanks. I'll look into the port forwarding further. It's my satellite modem that does not have a static IP. Not sure if I was clear about that. I went to what's my IP and got my external IP then entered that into my profile in the UCP on this site. However, my external IP changes, (probably when I reset it). I would think that it should work until I do something that causes my modem to get a different external IP.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Use the DDNS service here to avoid the static IP problem.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4754
waucedah_joe

Post by waucedah_joe »

Hughes Gen4 modems do not support port forwarding it seems. I got this from a link their support forum.

"Cody Jackson October 27, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

As you’ve noticed, there’s no port forwarding with the HT1000 because the addresses it gives out aren’t public addresses. If you really need access to your home network, you could try a few things:

1) Get IPv6 working. The IPv6 addresses given out by the modem are routeable from the outside world.
2) Use OpenVPN or similar.
3) Use Himachi (less of a learning curve than OpenVPN).
4) Use SSH reverse port forwarding to a machine you control at the office, if possible. This requires the office machine being publicly reachable, of course…"

I'm still going to try the DDNS service but am not hopeful. No need to run the WiFi setup again if I can connect locally through my wireless router..right? Even with the old Hughes modem I the portal only worked one way. I could look at data but not send commands. I'd love to get that back.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

That sucks as far as not supporting port forwarding but the behavior you had before should be working as that's an outgoing connection only.
waucedah_joe

Post by waucedah_joe »

Any point in running the wifi setup again if I can already communicate locally through the wireless router?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Nope