WIFI Port Forwarding problems with Airport Extreme

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
JJones

WIFI Port Forwarding problems with Airport Extreme

Post by JJones »

I am trying to set up the port forwarding on my airport extreme router and having some difficulties.

I will start this by saying I am not overly computer savvy, so I am sure this is an ID ten T error.

I have set up a static IP address on the old PC laptop I plan to use. That address is 10.0.1.150. I have the wifi adapter and the port checker set to port 2000. I then go into the airport utility on my mac, manual preferences, port mapping, and put in port 2000 for public and private UDP and TCP sending to the IP address listed above. However, when I use the port checker on my PC, it still says the port is closed?

I am trying to get everything set up so I can use the app on my iphone and monitor the tank when I am away, I travel weekly.

Thanks for the help!

Jason
rimai

Re: WIFI Port Forwarding problems with Airport Extreme

Post by rimai »

The ip address has to be the wifi attachment ip address and not the laptop ip address.
Roberto.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Ok, so I moved the IP address in the port forwarding window to 10.0.1.5, which is the wifi attachment. Now I cannot connect to the controller through the client suite or anything else.

The wifi adapter still shows the slow blinking light, so I assume it is connected. Not sure what the problem is now.

I tried rebooting both the computer and the controller.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Can you browse http://10.0.1.5:2000/wifi ?
If you get "Reef Angel Controller Web Server", it means you are able to see the controller through wifi.
Otherwise, you may be using the wrong ip address.
Can you browse http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2000/wifi ?
Go to http://whatismyip.com to find out your external ip address and replace the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with that.
If you get "Reef Angel Controller Web Server", it means your port forwarding is working.
Port forwarding shouldn't affect the Client. The Client would still be configured to connect to 10.0.1.5
You also don't need the client to use the iphone app.
If you configure the iphone app to use 10.0.1.5, it should work within your wifi network regardless of having the Client running or not.
If you configure it to use the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, you would be able to see it from outside of your wifi too.
Roberto.
JJones

Post by JJones »

I have always been able to view it using 10.0.1.5:2000/wifi; however, I cannot now. The page just continues trying to connect, and eventually says the connection is taking too long. The same happens when I use the external IP.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Weird. So, if I'm following right, if you disable the port forwarding, you are able to see the web server and also the Client can connect?
Roberto.
JJones

Post by JJones »

I thought that would be the case. I just disabled the port forwarding but am still not apply to see web server and the client is not connecting. Now I am really not sure what is going on.
binder

Post by binder »

Odd question but does your router actually "see" the wifi module? It should show it as the list of connected devices. I would make sure the router can see it and that it's not accidentally getting the wrong IP address OR that there isn't an IP address conflict.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?
binder

Post by binder »

You should be able to connect to your router (based on what has been mentioned, it probably is http://10.0.1.1/). Then somewhere on the page you should have the ability to show the connected clients. I'm not sure where, so you might have to do some searching.
JJones

Post by JJones »

I cannot log into the server through that address either. Perhaps there is some issue with the router?

I can get into the router through the airport utility application.
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

JJones wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?
Open the Airport utlity, click manual setup, on the summary page click dhcp clients. It will show you the mac address of all the connected clients.

Did you configure a static ip on the RA or inside of the Airport Utility? It should be done inside the Airport utility, if you configure it on the RA the Airport still thinks it is open and can assign that address to another device knocking them both offline. To reserve on Airport go to Internet >> DHCP >> Reservations and enter in IP and mac address of adapter.

Let me know if you need screen shots and I can show you how mine is configured.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
JJones

Post by JJones »

Thanks for the help everyone.

I can see the mac addresses of the devices connected. There are 5, is there a way to tell which belongs to the RA?

As far as configuring a static IP, I think I did that incorrectly. I configured it on my PC laptop for the laptop. I having been working mainly from other posts, so if there is a detailed step by step, that would be helpful.
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

JJones wrote:Thanks for the help everyone.

I can see the mac addresses of the devices connected. There are 5, is there a way to tell which belongs to the RA?

As far as configuring a static IP, I think I did that incorrectly. I configured it on my PC laptop for the laptop. I having been working mainly from other posts, so if there is a detailed step by step, that would be helpful.
simply way is try to browse to each one of those address's, if you get to the reefangel then you know you got the right one. Then you can reserve that IP on your airport so it will always stay with that address.

http://10.0.1.11:2000/wifi

Just substitute the other ip's.

As for the static if you didn't knowingly set one its probably set for DHCP and will grab whatever address the DHCP server gives it. Usually it is the same address everytime but it can change so it is best to "reserve" it.
John
JJones

Post by JJones »

Ok. Now that is complete. So now should I modify the port forwarding to the ip address that is assigned to the RA?

It moved to 10.0.1.2. That is the address I then reserved it too.
JJones

Post by JJones »

I used port mapping to open port 2000 for 10.0.1.2.

I still does not seem as though the port is forwarding. When I try to connect to 10.0.1.2 from the iphone app, it only works when I have it connected to my home wireless. Is there another IP address I should be connecting to?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, when you are outsite of your house, you have to use your external ip address.
Find out what it is by using a computer inside your network and go to http://whatismyip.com
This will tell you what external ip address you are using.
Then, you setup the iphone app to use that ip address.
Roberto.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Ok, that step is done and it is still not working.

Any other suggestions?

John, can you show me screenshots of your configuration to make sure I am not missing anything. Do I need to mess with IPv6?
binder

Post by binder »

JJones wrote:Ok, that step is done and it is still not working.

Any other suggestions?

John, can you show me screenshots of your configuration to make sure I am not missing anything. Do I need to mess with IPv6?
Do not bother with IPv6. It won't make a difference.

What can happen is your public IP address can change. It is usually dynamically assigned from your provider. You may want to test that it has stayed the same. And you should visit that site from your home computer and not on your 3G/4G connection from your phone. (just in case you were doing that).
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

JJones wrote:Ok, that step is done and it is still not working.

Any other suggestions?

I will grab some screenshots tonight.
John
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

wolfador wrote:
I will grab some screenshots tonight.

sorry a bit late.

My RA is configured for 10.0.1.11
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-01-22 at 5.22.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-01-22 at 5.22.52 PM.png (132.4 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
John
JJones

Post by JJones »

Thanks for posting that John.

My port forwarding is set up the same as John's. I have checked my external IP address the last few days and it has stayed the same.

However, I cannot connect through my iphone of through http://99.67.237.227:2000/wifi. I can connect through 10.0.1.2:2000 wifi.

Is it possible there is some issue with my service provider causing this? Use AT&T Uverse.
rimai

Post by rimai »

When you browse http://whatismyip.com, are you using your computer or your iPhone?
Roberto.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Computer every time
JJones

Post by JJones »

Anyone else have any ideas?
JJones

Post by JJones »

Problem fixed.

Roberto remotely logged in and figured out the problem. While I had the airport set up to forward properly, I never forwarded the Uverse router that it was connected to. Once we forwarded that, everything worked like a champ.

Thanks again Roberto.