PH probes - reading strange values

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
soyrex

PH probes - reading strange values

Post by soyrex »

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why my PH reading a seem to sometimes read really low (like 1).

Seems to happen sometimes if I rewire things or plug new stuff in.... but even if I recalibrate the probe it still ends up reading funny. Currently reading 1.63 after just being calibrated...
It's a brand new probe (thought my old probe was the issue... now I'm no so sure).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lnevo

Re: PH probes - reading strange values

Post by lnevo »

Stray voltage. Try running the probe in cup of tank water to see if any different
soyrex

Post by soyrex »

ok. no idea what would be causing it. What can I do about it long term?

LucianoB

Post by LucianoB »

Hi, perhaps the probe are very near from fresh water reposition? I saw some similar problem in other post.
Regards,
soyrex wrote:Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why my PH reading a seem to sometimes read really low (like 1).

Seems to happen sometimes if I rewire things or plug new stuff in.... but even if I recalibrate the probe it still ends up reading funny. Currently reading 1.63 after just being calibrated...
It's a brand new probe (thought my old probe was the issue... now I'm no so sure).

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Did you try the cup? Were the readings normal there? If so you need to identify what piece of equipment is causing it. I would start with float switches followed by return and skimmer pumps. Keep going till you find the culprit.
soyrex

Post by soyrex »

tried the cup. it's steady at 7.32 - didn't have time to re-calibrate it...but it's steady and holding.. so i guess it's a voltage issue.

I took the floats switches out.. no change. I will try and isolate cause ... there's really only:
- 2 x temp probes
- 2x float switches
- 2 x wave makers (mp10 x gyre)
- return pump
- skimmer.
- heaters and chiller (both off 90% of time so assume they aren't the culprit)

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yeah, that's a pretty quick indicator.